Wellness

10 Ways to Have a Self-Care Celebration on a Budget!

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

“Treating yo’ self” on a college student’s budget can prove tricky, but it is definitely possible with a little creativity. Self-care, however, does not have to be expensive or complex. Here are a few ways I like to practice self-care without breaking the bank.

1. Stretch it out!

Stretching regularly can do wonders for your mental and physical health! I like doing some simple vinyasa movements in my dorms on days when I can’t make it to the gym. You can try this sequence from Do You Yoga. I like this particular sequence because it is super simple, and most people (even if you aren’t flexible) can find a variation of these movements that work for them.

2. Treat yo’ self and yo’ skin!

Especially with the cold and windy weather that’s been hanging heavily over Kenyon this week, I like to take care of my sensitive skin. I use Garnier’s Micellar Cleansing Water (they have several varieties for different skin types, so everyone can find something that works for them) every night to take my makeup off, and in the mornings to wake my skin up. I also use their Rosewater spray. Rosewater is proven to soothe skin irritation, reduce redness, prevent and treat infections, and it has anti-aging properties. I like Garnier’s because I’ve found that it is the least irritating for my sensitive skin that I’ve tried. Additionally, their formulas are incredibly affordable compared to most brands I’ve tried.

3. Masks!

The cold season is notorious for drying out skin, but I find that my hair also experiences dryness during this time of year. To remedy frizzy locks and heal split ends, I use Garnier’s hair masks. I’ve found that their ‘Strengthening Treat’ mask is great for preventing damage and their ‘Damage Repairing Treat’ mask is great for healing already damaged hair. Plus, both of these masks are vegan, which is great for you and the planet!

4. Sleep your problems away.

Sleep is the most underrated way to practice self-care. Getting between 7-9 hours of sleep a night is proven to improve memory, live longer, curb inflammation, improve grades, lower stress, boost your immune system, etc. Plus, there’s no feeling like getting a good night’s rest!

5. Go for a run or walk outside!

Whether you stick to the sidewalk, or hike a mountain, getting outside can seriously boost your mental and physical health. I know that sometimes it’s hard for me to convince myself to put my tennis shoes on and move around, but I always come back from walks or runs refreshed and motivated. Plus, you can invite a friend to go with you, and maybe have a picnic halfway through!

6. Read a book that you normally wouldn’t.

Take some time for yourself and step out of your comfort zone! Reading is great for improving concentration and reducing stress. Take advantage of your local, or your university’s, public library and check out a book from a genre you normally wouldn’t try. You might just end up discovering a new passion! Here are some books that are perfect for fall.

7. Call home.

Take five minutes and call home a parent or guardian, or a friend that you haven’t seen in a while. Taking the time to communicate with friends and/or relatives always improves my mood and helps me to gain perspective.

8. Appreciate yourself.

Write a list of ten or more things that you want to appreciate more about yourself. Reflect on where you are mentally, and thank your body for all that it does for you! Make a goal to find something new every day to appreciate about yourself. You deserve it!

9. Eat some vegetables.

I know it can be hard to pick kale over pizza, but maybe have kale on your pizza? Or broccoli? It’s cold and flu season and veggies are packed with vitamins and nutrients that your body needs to function and fight infection. Try to up your veggie (or fruit!) intake this week, and enjoy the plethora of health benefits.

10. Drink more water.

Drinking enough water is important for literally every function that your body performs! The average person should drink 3-4 liters in a day, and I would recommend trying to aim for that. I like to use a reusable steel water bottle so that I don’t create unnecessary plastic waste. I’ve found reusable water bottles for less than five dollars at my local grocers/pharmacy. I like this super cute one from Target! I like that it is plastic free, and uses food-grade silicone instead.

Image Credit: Feature, 2, 3, 4, 5

April Murphy

Kenyon '22

Hey ya'll! My name is April Murphy. I'm a freshman at Kenyon College who hopes to double major in Biochemistry and French. My family is from Edmond, Oklahoma, although I grew up in Monroe, Michigan. I am an alumni of Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire. I love baking, reading, and practicing vinyasa yoga.