10 Stages of the First Semester of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

The first ever semester of college (or any semester of any year, for that matter) can fall a little short of the “best time of your life” expectations. Sure at times, the independence and newness is exciting, but there is something to be said about the occasional resorting back to childhood feelings—wanting nothing more than mom, a homemade cookie, and a comfortable bed. As someone who has just lived through first semester of college, I wanted to sum up this emotional rollercoaster in ten stages.

1. Saying Goodbye to Familiarity

When did I sign up for this, again??

2. Saying Hello to Independence

You mean I can eat ice cream for dinner? I have to buy my own socks? And tampons, too? This is surprisingly wonderful!

3. Surviving Orientation

Without being too awkward and even making a friend (or two), hopefully!

4. Learning the Social Scene

Because shows/movies like “Greek,” “Gilmore Girls,” “Sydney White,” and “Pitch Perfect” are nothing less than accurate portrayals of college night life, right?

5. Getting To Know Your Cafeteria

And reframing your diet to work around the substantials: ramen, bananas, rice, and fries.

6. Realizing Home Is Where The Food Is

Nothing feels as good as sitting down for your first home cooked meal during break. The arguably runner up best meal is the sushi roll at your favorite hometown Japanese restaurant.

7. Struggling to Make it to 8am Class

Especially as the weather gets colder and every inch of your body insists on staying wrapped in covers.

8. Drowning In Work

After a summer of relaxation and, for many, a second semester senior year that was not quite defined by late night studying or high levels of motivation, the workload is a sure wake up call. But, there’s also something exciting in the 2:00 am walks back from the library knowing you crushed that essay the night before. So college!

9. Thinking About The Next Four Years

When it comes to thinking about a major, study abroad opportunities, or simply classes for next semester, I often find myself pondering over what I even want to do with my life?? At times, four years can feel a bit overwhelming and stressful, but when I realize everything I want to do, here, it doesn’t feel long enough. And besides, the longer time I have to figure out my future the better.

10. Making It Through Finals and Then Not Wanting to Leave

There’s nothing like finding people who share similar values/interests as you and the realization that maybe this new community has a place for you. As soon as college starts to feel like home, you’re leaving for the holidays.

Yes, shower shoes, cafeteria food, laundry, and an overload of work can be a bit overwhelming and tiring, from time to time. I feel you. But, learning to embrace those “college” experiences and all the independence and lovely friends that make it unique has made my first semester everything from silly and crazy to educational and unforgettable.

Credit: Giphy, Pinterest

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.