Women are Superheroes Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I have been obsessed with superheroes since I was a little girl. It all started with the impeccable “Powerpuff Girls”. I remember asking my mom why she didn’t name me Bubbles (the blonde Powerpuff Girl) because that’s who I thought I was. C’mon we both had blonde hair! 

To this day they still have a special place in my heart, but I’ve moved on to more notable Marvel and DC heroes. It started with “Captain America” (who wouldn’t fall in love with Chris Evans #HeartEyes) then “Iron Man”, “Thor” and then finally “Batman”. As more and more movies came out and I got older, I realized that I didn’t have anyone in these movies to relate to. Then in “Iron Man 2”, the Marvel Universe introduced Black Widow (a.k.a. Natasha Romanoff) played by the lovely Scarlett Johansson. 

It was such a breath of fresh air to see a strong female take on so many bad guys and easily win. Luckily people liked Johansson’s character enough that she kept reappearing in other Marvel films and ended up being a main staple in The Avengers team. With hints of a spy/assassin backstory being thrown into her past 5 Marvel films people, especially us girls, have been begging for her origin story to be shown in its own feature film. Until recently I don’t think Marvel believed a woman carried superhero film would be successful. But then we saw summer 2017 and the release of DC’s “Wonder Woman”.

Coming in at $821.8 million at the box office “Wonder Woman” became the highest grossing superhero origin film, beating out films like “Iron Man” and “Captain America: The First Avenger”. Domestically it has become the fifth highest-grossing superhero film of all time. Not only making a big impact in the box office, but also in the hearts of girls everywhere. You probably saw so many Wonder Woman Halloween costumes this year ranging from little girls to grown women like us! We all wanted to be her for Halloween. Who wouldn’t want to be a goddess leading the men to battle? 

During his recent appearance at the Supanova Comic-Con in Australia, Stan Lee (creator of Marvel Comics) said, “One day there will be a Black Widow movie.” Now, what exactly does “One day” mean? We don’t know for sure, but with the success and money that came with Wonder Woman, you know that Marvel is watching and carefully planning their next move. I think a Black Widow movie could do just as good or even better than Wonder Woman because she is such a captivating and mysterious character; people are just dying to find out more about her. 

I want little girls to grow up with these strong, superhero women as role models to show them that women are heroes too!

Jess Goodwin is a  senior at Kent State University, where she is the Senior Editor for the Her Campus Kent State chapter! She is a Journalism major who has enjoyed writing and telling stories her whole life. When she is not writing, Jess is dancing and choreographing. She has been dancing for over 15 years and choreographing for just about 3 years now! She has a passion for movies, books and entertainment, but she also has a love for activism and promoting love! Jess's socials are: Instagram: @jess.goodwin Twitter: @jessgoodwin13 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.