Why you should try new things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I love to try new things. Whether it’s going to a meeting for an organization, a workout class or even checking out a play or dance performance the university is putting on. With that being said, sometimes not having somebody to go with can make it hard to go out and do these things.A week ago I was planning on the  Zumbathon with a friend, at the last minute she was unable to go, but I still went. When I first got there I did not see anyone I knew, which was awkward at first, but then I smiled at someone and struck up a conversation. I later ran into to some girls I knew which made things less awkward, but going up and talking to someone else who was there alone made the situation better.

Not good at striking up conversations? Find someone who looks just as nervous as you and smile. If you’re not sure what to talk about, make small talk, even if it’s about the weather or talk about how excited you are to try this new event you’re at. Nine times out of ten the other person will try to keep the conversation going because they may have been wanting to do the same thing, but were just too nervous . Who knows, you could meet your new best friend in the process.

Not doing something even though you wanted to can lead to the feeling of regret, nobody likes that feeling especially when you know it’s something you would’ve enjoyed. In addition to meeting someone new, trying something new allows you to break out of you comfort zone and boost your confidence knowing you are not ashamed to do something by yourself. When you think about it, what is worst thing that happen? You don’t know until you try. Even if doesn’t go as planned, you have the satisfaction knowing you tried and know not to try it again. So what I am trying to tell you is do not let your friends stop you from doing something you want, break out of your comfort zone, meet someone new and possibly learn something new about yourself. You will be glad you did.

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.