This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

If you know me then you know about my *slight* obsession with the royal family. Now, I wouldn’t call this an unhealthy obsession, I just find their lives very interesting. My curiosity with the royals first began in 2016 when the series, The Crown, came out on Netflix. And ever since then my obsession has only grown. 

In season 4 of The Crown we get introduced to Margaret ​Thatcher and Diana Spencer, two individuals who have left their mark on history. The season touches on key historical events such as Britain’s strained relationship with Africa, the Falklands War and the Queen’s relationship with Margaret Thatcher. Season 4 not only addresses key points in history, but it also uncovers some very revealing and personal accounts of the past.

Big Ben in London, UK with a red bus in front
Photo by Lucas Davies from Unsplash

I’d like to preface this by first saying how The Crown is not 100% factual. With that being said a lot of the elements within the show are true. Elements such as Princess Diana’s eating disorder and the love triangle between Princess Diana, Prince Charles and The Duchess of Cornwall are examples. 

princess diana
Photo by John Mathew Smith from Flickr
One standout reason to watch The Crown has got to be the casting. Not only do these characters sound and look like the real deal, but they have also perfected their mannerisms as well. As a matter of fact, at times you believe you are watching the real royal family. It’s a bit freaky! Gillian Anderson plays Margaret Thatcher and there is a remarkable resemblance. According to The Crown‘s makeup team, they didn’t have to use any prosthetics or even a mouthpiece to get Margaret’s well-known strained grimace. Along with the addition of Gillian Anderson was Emma Corrin who plays Princess Diana. England’s most beloved, Princess Diana, was known for her philanthropy as well as her fashion sense. One reason why this season stood out to me the most was because of the replication of the outfits worn by Princess Diana (the fashion on this show is a reason in itself to watch this show). Not only did Emma Corrin deliver a stellar performance, hitting the nail on the head, she also captured the despair of young Diana as she grew up in the spotlight.

All in all, I must say, The Crown’s fourth season is by far the most drama-filled and thrilling season yet. If you love drama and are curious about the royal family I highly recommend watching this show!

Livi Harmat

Kent State '23

Livi is a junior studying Fashion Merchandsing at Kent State University. In her free time, Livi can be found taking photos, reading, and going to trendy (but yummy) restaurants
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.