Why You Should Listen to New Artist, Indigo Sparke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Listening to music is one of the very few activities that can always make me feel better. Whenever I’m sad, I listen to music. Whenever I’m happy, I listen to music. Music is all around us and I can’t get enough of it. I generally like most genres of music…except country (sorry I just cannot do it). Discovering new music you enjoy is one of the best feelings ever, especially when you find a new artist that isn’t super popular quite yet. A new artist that has hit my radar (and should hit everyone else’s) is none other than the lovely Indigo Sparke.

Indigo Sparke is a folk indie singer with a current number of 73,795 monthly listeners on Spotify, with 27.8k followers on Instagram. Sparke is an Australian singer-songwriter who has been writing and releasing music since 2016 with her first EP entitled “Nightbloom.” Now, Sparke has recently released her second studio album with the help of The National entitled, “Hysteria.”

I recently went to the Kent Stage with my boyfriend to see Nekko Case perform, and that’s how I found Indigo. Sparke is the opening act for Nekko Case on this 2023 tour, and I can genuinely say I’ve never enjoyed an opening act as much as this one. Although the main act, Nekko, was amazing, I personally feel as though Sparke outshined her. After her first song, Sparke’s voice put me in some sort of trance. I was sucked in immediately. A beautiful yet haunting voice echoed through the small auditorium, leaving me with goosebumps. A voice like Sparke’s needs to be shared. Not only was her voice that compared to an angel’s, but her songwriting also did not disappoint.

Sparke described her songs as somewhat “morbid.” Regardless of how morbid the lyrics may seem, her voice made it sound like an easy pill to swallow.

“You broke all of my ribs in a dream the other night. You said you were not hurting me just trying to hold me tight,” Sparke sings in “Bad Dreams.”

Throughout Sparke’s set, she maintained a friendly and funny demeanor with the audience, making her even more likable. It’s one thing to be a talented singer, but it is important for an artist to also have a magnificent stage presence, and she had it. My boyfriend and I were amazed after each song, glancing over at each other and giving a “That was so insanely good” look each time she hit a new note.

Something I found incredibly unique about Sparke was her ability to go from a soft, whispery echo to a full storm. You can feel the pure emotion in her voice. Whether it’s pure intensity or a gentle tap, you can feel it all.

It’s only been a few days since I discovered Sparke, and I’ve already memorized so many of her lyrics and have become a hardcore fan. Now, not to toot my own horn, but when I usually find a new artist early on, they always become incredibly successful, so I must know what I’m talking about. For example, I discovered Dua Lipa way before she blew up, and I knew even back then that she was going to be special.

The only way I can compare Sparke to other artists is if Ethel Cain and Phoebe Bridgers had a baby. However, Sparke isn’t the new Ethel Cain or Phoebe Bridgers-Indigo Sparke is the new Indigo Sparke, and she’s here to stay.

Grace Clarke

Kent State

Junior Journalism major with Public Relations minor at Kent State University. I love to write articles informing others on a variety of things such as pop culture, music, fashion, or breaking news.