Why we should care about the environment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Did you know that Earth’s average temperature has risen about 0.87 degree celsius since 1880? Now, that doesn’t seem that bad; Although, about 2/3 of that temperature change has occurred since 1975. Now you may be thinking “Why should I care? The temperature is always changing,” but this is a global issue. If the global temperature drops just 5 degrees we will be buried in ice. One degree makes all the difference. It has been speculated that once we hit 2 degrees of difference, without changing our ways, there will be overwhelming negative impacts to our home planet. Our sea levels will rise anywhere from 1 to 4 feet before the end of this century from the melting polar ice and storms/natural disasters will become more severe as we fall deeper into this hole. Our biggest problem is the increased amount of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide, methane and water vapor. The greenhouse effect is a good thing in small amounts. Without it Earth would be too cold to support life. However, the average family in the United States produces 7.5 tons of carbon dioxide per year. One gallon of gasoline puts 19 pounds of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. We are putting greenhouse gases into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels, land clearing, agriculture and other human activities. We need to remember that Earth is our home and for the time being we have nowhere else to run to if we destroy it.

You may be wondering how we can help save our planet. We all can do our part. It’s as simple as being aware to how much water you use and recycling, switching your appliances to energy efficient ones and reducing your food waste. Try buying locally and shopping with the environment in mind. Even just using both sides of a paper makes a difference. Keep your planet in mind when you make everyday desicions. Just because you are one person doesn’t mean you can’t make a difference. It takes one person to start a change.

Stay green collegiettes.     

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.