Why So Many Gen Z Women Have Found Hope in New Age Spirituality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The pandemic has caused an incredible amount of uncertainty in the last year, and many have found themselves struggling to cope with the unpredictability and strife the world has thrown all of us into. In an attempt to understand the universe while also battling with its ability to make us feel out of control of our own lives, the ideas of “new age spirituality” have aided many in making sense of the world’s madness. 

With tools including manifesting—a practice of “speaking or writing things into existence”—those who may have been struggling with feelings of being prisoners to outside circumstances are able to reclaim authority over their own fate. Manifesting in the style of “scripting,” or writing goals you wish for in your life as if they were happening in the present, has been around for many years. However, TikTok has garnered newfound attention and appeal surrounding manifestation and other spiritual practices, especially among Gen Z women. 

While scrolling, you may have stumbled across creators who pull tarot cards deciphering your fate, speaking directly to you through the screen, assuring you that the universe has a plan for you. These creators tell you confidently that you can take control of this fate, and the universe “has your back” in doing so. These ideas of self-determined fate and trust in the universe can create a sense of solace and comfort for previously uneasy teens and young adults. 

I find that these ideas appeal mainly to women, especially those who struggle with mental health issues and are seeking answers for why they might feel the way they do. A popular “new age” belief that resonates with many women is the idea of astrological signs and the insights they offer into personality, the way one emotes and the way one is perceived. Birth charts also give an in-depth analysis of personality traits and the effect of the planets on why a person may act and feel the way they do. This can be relieving to those who seek an explanation for emotions and characteristics that may feel confusing. Men often question the validity of astrology and tend to criticize the women who are well versed on the topic; I believe this comes from their inability to accept that a belief system that was popularized and often practiced by women is credible. 

assorted zodiac signs?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration on Canva for Her Campus Media

Another practice I believe is commonly misunderstood by men is the use of crystals. Frequently, I hear men using the critique that “they are just rocks” and are quick to invalidate those who find crystals of value. This skepticism is conceivable, as the idea of certain inanimate objects having energy can be hard to grasp. It seems that the beauty and allure of crystals are not lost on women, due to our natural pull to things that are appealing to the eye. Assigning significant value and emotions to crystals is not a foreign concept to women, due to the cliché that diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Diamonds also hold strong social significance in representing the concept of love and togetherness because of engagement rings. With that same logic, the magnetism women find toward crystals makes a lot of sense. Many people are looking to improve their day-to-day lives and with the belief that crystals can enhance certain positive energies and attributes in a person, those desires to feel better can be fulfilled. 

Annie Gleydura

Kent State '24

I am Annie Gleydura. I’m a sophomore majoring in Fashion Merchandising and minoring in both fashion media and creative writing. My passions include fashion, writing, art, and makeup.