This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Every year, single girls lament on Valentine’s Day, mourning their love lives.  Personally, I’ve always loved Valentine’s Day because I use the holiday to appreciate all the great people I have in my life. Over the past couple of years, Galentine’s Day has become a popular alternative for single girls. Here are some reasons why being single on Valentine’s Day isn’t the end of the world:

1. Calories don’t count

Valentine’s Day isn’t a day to hold back; none of your friends will judge! I’m eating clean all week to prepare myself for the massive junk food binge that’s going to happen on Sunday.

2. You can eat heart-shaped foods

Half the fun of Valentine’s Day is making cute, heart shaped treats! A quick Pinterest search will give you heart-shaped options for literally any food imaginable.

3. Wine, wine, and more wine

It’s red so…that’s all that matters, right?

4. Chocolate

I pretty much eat chocolate every day, but Valentine’s Day gives you an excuse to eat even more.

5. You can catch up on rom-coms and other sappy movies

It’s better to cry in front of your friends than in a theater full of people.

6. You can stay up all night and gossip about boys with your other single friends

Let’s be honest, these conversations can go on for hours and it’s like free therapy. No one gets you better than your girlfriends; there’s more than enough BFF love to go around!

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.