Why Sex and The City is a Timeless Showcase of Women Empowerment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I’ve always been a huge fan of Sex and the City, a show centering around sex column writer Carrie Bradshaw and her group of girlfriends Miranda Hobbes, Samantha Jones and Charlotte York. Though there has always been some controversy on whether or not a feminist can still enjoy it, I am here to tell you that of course, they can! There are plenty of times the main female cast kicks ass in a male-dominated world and here are just a few.

Each Character is Unapologetically Themselves

Carrie spends too much money on shoes and uses her kitchen oven as extra storage for sweaters, which by the way I’ve never felt a more relatable moment in TV history than when she revealed this. Charlotte holds her more conservative morals close and doesn’t feel the need to conform to what others do. While Samantha enjoys a life lacking monogamy, but loving sexuality and Miranda wears her success as Harvard graduate and partner in a law firm on her sleeve.

Displays the Value of Female Friendships

From the first to last season, both the show and movie start and end with the four women. They are always there to provide each other with emotional, practical and moral support. It is also great to see a group of women who can make each other laugh and truly enjoy being within one another’s company. Carrie even goes so far to say that “maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with.”

Does Not Completely Dismiss the Idea of Men

As four straight women living in New York City, it is unreasonable to think the characters wouldn’t spend time talking about or in relationships with men. The important thing is showing how the friends continue to be strong independent women within their relationships. Not every woman on the show falls into the stereotypical marriage role and even the ones who do, don’t tie the knot until their late 30s and even mid-40s. Besides, who says a strong woman can’t fall in love or want to be with someone anyway?

The Funny, Blunt and Straight up Real Sex Talk

I’ll just leave that there…

Shows How Women Can and Should be in Charge of Their Own Lives

Each woman makes a life-altering choice throughout the show to ultimately do what they feel is right for themselves. Samantha tells her long-term boyfriend, Smith, she loves him but loves herself more and realizes her career and own mental health need to come before anyone else’s. While Charlotte leaves her first marriage with a man she loved but didn’t want a child in pursuit of having a family, something she always wanted. Whereas Carrie, not ready for a marriage turns down her pressuring fiance Aidan, and Miranda, though considering an abortion ultimately decides to have her baby. Later on, she even reverses gender roles by proposing to her boyfriend Steve.

Sex and The City was by no means the “perfect” feminist tale but it definitely had some striking and impactful moments throughout the series that make it a timeless one. Add in a Manhattan setting, some amazing fashion and a girl gang that keeps it real and you and your friends have the perfect show for your next binging venture.

Amanda Vogt is a sophomore at Kent State University and is from the suburbs of Rochester New York. Her studies include a major in fashion merchandising as well as a minor in creative writing. She has always loved writing and used to spend her days in math and science class coming up with short stories instead of calculating numbers. She is also an avid lover of all things fashion and makeup related and has been interested in the industry ever since she was little. She hopes to live in a big city after college with an unhealthy amount of dogs.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.