Why Meghan Markle is Inspiring to all Women This Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Following Oprah’s interview with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry on March 7, conversations about this interview have led to conversations on women’s rights, and more specifically Women’s History Month. 

Markle revealed shocking information about her son Archie. His role in the royal family would be nonexistent, and he wouldn’t receive security because he wouldn’t be given a title. Markle was silenced and was told not to talk to the press, reportedly by the “Institution” or the Royal Family. Markle also revealed mental health issues she faced during the past couple of years. 

“I just didn’t want to be alive anymore,” Markle said. “And that was a very clear and real and frightening, constant thought. And I remember how he [Harry] just cradled me.”

When Oprah asked Markle “were you silent or were you silenced [by the Royal family]?” 

“The latter. Everyone in my world was given a very clear directive from the moment the world knew Harry and I were dating to always say: ‘No comment,’” Markle replied. 

Princess Diana experienced some of the same issues as Meghan Markle and revealed similar issues she experienced with mental health during her time as Princess. 

“It was isolating,” Diana said. “I was the one who was always pitched out front, whether it was my clothes, what I said, what my hair was doing, everything …”

princess diana
Photo by John Mathew Smith from Flickr
It was even said by some that Diana’s words from the past inspired Meghan and Harry’s interview on speaking out. 

“I went to the institution and I said that I needed to go somewhere to get help.” Markle said, “And I was told that I couldn’t, that it wouldn’t be good for the institution.”

All of the time women feel powerless and feel the need to stay silent about issues they face. Whether it be domestic violence, sexual assault or mental health issues. Many times we as women are told to “keep quiet,” or to “sweep it under the rug.” In a 2016 study done by the Justice Department, they discovered that nearly 80% of rapes and sexual assaults are unreported. #MeToo grew in 2017 and gave women the platform to speak up about their experiences with sexual harassment and assault. 

Women did not have the right to vote in the United States until 1920, so even politically women were silenced. Until this day, women are continually silenced because of their political beliefs. In addition, Markle has inspired so many women to speak up about issues they are told to be quiet about. 

the "future is female" sign
Photo by Lindsey LaMont from Unsplash
Many times when women speak out they are told it was their fault, doing it for the attention or aren’t believed. Women are told from a young age to be polite and not to speak our mind. Women are conditioned from a young age to be silent.  

We need Women’s stories, their experiences and their voices to be heard. A few more inspiring women that speak up are Vice President Kamala Harris, Malala Yousafzai, Alyssa Milano and Hillary Clinton.

Emma MacNiven

Kent State '24

Emma is a native of Louisville, Kentucky and is currently studying Journalism at Kent State University. Besides writing, Emma has a passion for activism and loves to read, listen to Taylor Swift and see new places. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career at a magazine or newspaper.