This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I am currently a Sophomore at Kent State University and studying Art Education. My goal is to be an art teacher and help students find their artistic freedom, as well as themselves through artwork. 

As a kid I was very artistic, drawing and painting, and even making my coloring books look as nice as I could. As I got older my interest in art grew as well as my artistic skills. I still am improving in my artwork and can see great improvements between current artwork and sketches and artwork from even just a few months ago. 

When I was in first grade, a new art teacher started working at my elementary school. This art teacher was a friend of my mom’s, and her name is Heidi Charlton. Heidi saw my passion for art and always pushed me to do as well as I could on every project. I had Heidi as my art teacher from first grade until sixth grade. She was able to watch my artistic ability grow from year to year. When I moved up to the high school, I had two different art teachers, both of which also helped me to grow with my abilities in art and taught me new things. 

My Junior year of high school Heidi was moved up and began teaching art at a high school level. I was able to have her as my teacher again for two more years. In these two years my artistic abilities grew even more, teaching me new techniques and new mediums of art. Heidi was always honest with me about my artwork; if something did not look right, she would tell me and show me how I could improve it. 

I want to be an art teacher, not only because of my love and appreciation for art, but because Heidi inspired me to follow in her footsteps. She not only was supportive and helpful when it came to artwork, but anyone who needed help or someone to talk to, she was always there. I wish to be a great art teacher like her and help students with their artwork. As well as anything else that might be going on in their personal lives, if they would need someone to confide in. 

I believe that art is very important in people’s lives, especially in young children. Whether it be fine arts, music or dance, the arts can help children learn about history and inspire their creativity. I am grateful my parents always encouraged my creativity and supported my love of art. Without the encouragement of both of my parents as well as all of my art teachers, family and friends, I would not be as passionate about art as I am. 

Erica Dodson

Kent State '21

Erica is currently an Art Education major at Kent State University. She enjoys everything about art including, creating it, viewing art and learning the history behind art and the great artists of the past. Aside from art Erica enjoys many other things like makeup, fashion, writing, helping others, hiking, and dogs. Erica hopes to become an art teacher at a high school level upon graduating and not only help and inspire kids with their artwork, but with anything they might need to work through or talk about. Her high school art teacher and family friend inspired her to follow in her footsteps and be an art teacher and a supportive, helpful person overall.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.