Why FOMO Shouldn’t Consume You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The fear of missing out, otherwise known as FOMO, is a phenomenon that seems to plague many college students. Urban Dictionary defines FOMO as, “The fear that if you miss a party or event, you will miss out on something great.” Maybe you’re really tired and want to watch Netflix all night long, but your friends won’t stop bugging you about going out. You want to do anything besides go out, but the fear that you may miss out on something fun takes over and before you know it you’re out for a night on the town! Newsflash: there are so many rewarding things you could be doing if you didn’t let FOMO rule your life! Here are some options:

1. You could be catching up on some beauty sleep. 

2. You could be binge-watching all three seasons of House of Cards on Netflix. 

3. Or you could be catching up on Scandal and pretending you’re living the life of Olivia Pope.

4. You could make yourself breakfast for dinner (brinner). 

5. You could do your own nails and save on the salon cost.

6. You could call your parents! Chances are they miss their crazy college student.

7. You could be focusing on the present. In any aspect of your life, you’re going to risk missing out on something. There is no need to stress over it! Enjoy the moment and don’t allow the fear of missing out to control your decisions!

Magazine Journalism major and Visual Journalism minor at Kent State University! Natural foods enthusiast. Yogi. Runner. Photographer.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.