This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

For a relatively small town, Kent has a fairly substantial array of bars and part-time residents, aka students. Every resident has their favorite establishment, and the one which they’d prefer to hang around at less frequently. Each establishment, though their goals are similar, retains a collection of individual, defining characteristics that sets them apart. Comparably, the personality traits of each college student are vastly different, but play a vital role in their community and group of friends. We all have the same goal of getting an education and having fun while at Kent, but we have different ways of doing so. Off to the bars we go!

Ray’s Place- The social butterfly.

The put-together, attractive one who’s always the best dressed will likely be found here. Just like Ray’s Place, there is a draw to hang around this effervescent individual. With such a commanding presence, everyone either knows about and/or follows them on Twitter. Ray’s has its famous shot wheel to accent their bar, not to mention their Long Islands. Similarly, I’m sure this girl is armed with her signature designer bag and legion of witty comments.

The Zephyr Pub- The hipster.

Those other bars are just too “mainstream” for you. This establishment has become a hit in the domain of off-beat, indie music-loving, Kent students. They probably only drink craft beers from microbreweries and were the first one to catch on to the Moscow Mule trend (waaaay before it was cool with all the basics, obviously).

Water Street Tavern- The party animal.

There is a rooftop bar and patio, need we say more? This friend just always goes a little harder than the rest of the group. Whether it’s wearing sky-high stilettos EVERY time they go out, or insisting they buy every round of shots, they guarantee a wild, but entertaining, night.

The Loft- The old fashioned one.

This friend is likely known for their love of thrift shopping and talking about politics. Their charming look is reminiscent of “simpler times,” balanced with eccentricities just like the log cabin-esque look of Loft and it’s in-shell peanuts complemented with crowd-fascinating drinks like the fluorescent “hulk”.

Bar 145- The “lit” one.

Every group has that one friend who is just too hype for life. But that makes for a good time. Their characteristic going-out catch phrase is: “Guys, I just wanna dance!” Their high-strung energy can get slightly annoying but they’re typically fun to be around. Just like 145, it is perfect if you’re wanting more of a “club” experience that entails jumping around with your squad to a DJ or live music. The downside: it can get exhaustive and in your face. If you enjoy telling off randos who get a little too confident, then this is the place for you!

157 Lounge- The snob.

They’ll probably make comments about how the sushi isn’t made in the traditional Japanese fashion. They undoubtedly spent two hours getting ready to show off their style and hope to outdo their friends’ ensembles. They’ll direct the conversation back to social issues or themselves.

Brewhouse Pub- The baby. 

Brewhouse is the only “bar” in Kent that allows those under 21 in. We all have that friend whose age and maturity level is significantly lagging behind. Not only are they late to join the 21 club, but a little slower in catching on to life’s priorities as well. They probably still frequent the frat parties and drink themselves into a crying spell at least once a weekend preceding a massive pizza delivery charged to their parent’s credit card, naturally. There is no feeling of sophistication with this individual or establishment, but that’s not really their point. They’re of the less dignified, but overall entertaining, spectacle that still needs love and attention. Brewhouse is a great spot for people-watching, and this particular person will be the one to watch.

Now that you know what bar in our lovely city of Kent most fits yourself and your friends, go enjoy them all!

Elena Clark

Kent State

I am an ambitious, hardworking Honors Fashion Merchandising student with a minor in Public Relations at Kent State University. I am also a peer tutor at the Kent State Writing Commons and a member of Phi Mu Fraternity. I plan to pursue a career in Fashion Journalism once I graduate.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.