What To Know Before Watching HBO’s Reboot of “Degrassi”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

On January 13th, shortly after finishing my eleventh rewatch of Degrassi: The Next Generation, I opened Instagram and nearly passed out from excitement. 

As someone with a tattoo of the title of the theme song sitting on my left arm, this news was life-changing. My favorite show of all time was coming back to me. I don’t even have an HBO Max account but nothing is going to stop me from tuning in the second the series drops next year. 

Are you interested in watching the show but don’t know where to start or what to know? Here’s a mini prep course on everything you need to know before watching the Degrassi reboot. 

IT GOES THERE

Degrassi laid the foundation for all the teen shows we know and love today. Covering topics that make high schoolers and college students feel seen has always been their bread and butter. They aren’t afraid to “go there” when it comes to issues that teenagers face. It’s even gone so far that some episodes weren’t aired in the United States when they first premiered. Since the show is set and filmed in Canada, they had the ability to be open about intense topics. For example, in season 3 episode 14 of Degrassi: The Next Generation titled “Accidents Will Happen,” one of the main characters deals with the topic of abortion. This episode did not air in America until years after it did in Canada. 

So if you aren’t prepared for a show that’s not afraid to hold back, proceed with caution when tuning into Degrassi, especially given its new streaming platform. 

Oh, also, Drake is there.

THERE’S A LOT

Being a Degrassi fan is not for the faint of heart. This is a show that has been running since the late 70’s and includes five different series. There’s The Kids of Degrassi Street which is not required viewing as it was more of a practice for what was to come. There’s Degrassi Junior High which is three seasons of iconic content also laying the foundation for what was to come. The same cast stars in Degrassi High which is two seasons and covers more serious topics. 

Once you watch those and become forever envious of the 1980’s hair and fashion, prepare to be humbled by transporting to 2001 with Degrassi: The Next Generation. Here, you’ll see some of your favorite characters from the last two series as adults. Remember that teen mom character from Degrassi High? Well, now her daughter is attending Degrassi Community School! This show ran for a whopping fourteen seasons and is the version of Degrassi that most people know and love today. 

After that, the series got picked up by Netflix for a four-season run of Degrassi: Next Class which ended in 2017. 

I’m not sure how many of the original characters will make an appearance or be referenced in the newest series, but to me, it won’t be in true Degrassi fashion without Stefan Brogren.

Besides me, Brogren is the most dedicated person when it comes to Degrassi. He’s been in every single series since The Kids of Degrassi Street and acted as a frequent producer of the show. 

Still, before watching the reboot on HBO Max, you should consider brushing up on your Degrassi history and watch the combined twenty-three seasons of the four main series I’ve mentioned. 

TRY AS YOU MIGHT, YOU’LL NEVER BE A BIGGER FAN THAN ME

It’s true. Feel free to enjoy the new series however you decide to go about it but remember, I’m the biggest Degrassi fan in your life.

Fiona Loudon

Kent State '23

Fiona Loudon (Senior Editor) is a senior at Kent State University studying English with a minor in Creative Writing. She's a Pittsburgh native who enjoys watching movies, reading and spending time with her cat, Link. This is her fifth semester in Her Campus and third semester as Senior Editor.