This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Autumn is legitimately my favorite season, and I feel no shame in saying that. Sadly, fall has gained the reputation of being the season of Uggs and pumpkin spice lattes. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good apple orchard, and I am a pumpkin spice queen, but fall is also a great season to hit refresh and reflect after an exciting summer.

That being said, if you wish to enjoy fall but don’t want to fall prey to the season’s more stereotypical activities, I’ve created a more unique bucket list that I think will enhance the true spirit of the season. I would definitely still recommend going to a pumpkin patch and wearing all the fun sweaters, but add in some of these activities to make your season a little more meaningful.

Take a walk early in the morning

I’m going to let you in on a secret: there is nothing, and I repeat NOTHING like that crisp, fall morning air. It cleanses your soul and is well worth waking up early. Granted, the fall evening air is almost as nice, so if you can’t pull yourself out of bed, a post-dinner walk would suffice.

Indulge in a late night ice-cream run 

Once that first bitter cold day hits, the ice cream season is officially over. Take advantage of the nice weather to eat this glorious treat while you still can. 

Get crafty

Start early on those holiday presents or make your own DIY decorations. Autumn is a terrific season for creative inspiration, so take advantage of that!

Eat outside

Have a picnic, go to a restaurant with great outdoor seating or just eat by a window. Pretty soon, you won’t want to be outside longer than you have to, and then it will be a long time before you walk outside and don’t shiver.

Unleash your inner chef

Fall may be the season of pumpkin, but it is also the season for other amazing flavors and dishes. Spaghetti squash spaghetti? Sweet potato breakfast hash? Apple cinnamon pancakes? Butternut squash mac and cheese? SIGN ME UP!

Take advantage of those post-summer sales

You may be excited to start wearing sweaters and boots, but the deals you will get on summer clothes are amazing. The best part is that most of the time you can transition the pieces well into fall and winter.

Read a good book

Everyone knows that summer is a time for a good beach read, but fall is the time for those inspiring and motivating books. Read a self-help book, a historical novel or maybe a book that will help you learn something new.

Refresh your skincare and health regimen

A new season means a different skincare routine and maybe some more vitamin c to help fight the inevitable colds. Take care of your body as a preemptive measure so you are better prepared to fight germs and seasonal depression.

Upgrade your entertainment

Artists release tons of new music with the new season and lots of podcasts and new TV shows start up in fall as well. While your friends are bingeing Halloween movies, pick something new that you can keep up once winter hits.

Find a new favorite coffee shop

I love Starbucks as much as the next girl, but there are so many adorable local shops with fall drinks that are just as good as a PSL. Try them all, study there, invite friends. If you’re a Kent Student, I’d definitely recommend the gingerbread latte from Scribbles because it is like a cinnamon spice heaven.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a “basic” fall, but there are many more reasons to enjoy the season. Hopefully something on this list will enhance your autumn season in a more unique way, but by all means, wear the sweaters and eat the pumpkin spice. 

Katie is a Junior Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State with a minor in marketing. Katie is involved in multiple organizations on campus and has a special interest in social media and visual merchandising. She plans to graduate in December of 2021 and hopes to pursue a career in which she can utilize her creative writing skills and conscientious work ethic.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.