This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

This year has delivered some great and memorable movie moments, but 2018 is not over quite yet. The next two months promise several new movies that will be exciting to watch over the breaks and holidays with family and friends. As we wrap up the year, here are some movies to keep on your radar. Happy watching!

Movies In Theaters Now.

Ready to go the theater right now? The following titles are released and can be found at a theater near you:

Beautiful Boy

(Released October 25-Rated R) This film stars the wildly talented Steve Carell and Timothée Chalamet. It is a drama following the true story of David and Nic Sheff, a father and son who endure the experience of surviving addiction. Emotional and inspiring, this film focuses on the importance of family. Although this movie was released a few weeks ago, it has made its way into nearby theaters this week.

Bohemian Rhapsody

(Released November 2-Rated PG-13) Starring Rami Malek as the iconic Freddie Mercury, this film tells the story of the events that led up to Queen’s 1985 performance at the Live Aid concert. It highlights the struggles that Mercury underwent in his journey to becoming a world-famous artist.

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

(Released November 2-Rated PG) This adventure-fantasy movie is based on the classic tale of The Nutcracker. It has a star-studded cast including Mackenzie Foy as Clara, Kiera Knightley as Sugar Plum, Morgan Freeman as Drosselmeyer and Helen Mirren as Mother Ginger. This is a great holiday movie to see with the entire family.

Boy Erased

(Released November 2-Rated R) This drama is currently only in select theaters but will be released at a theater near you in the following weeks. It follows Lucas Hedges as Jared Eamons, the son of a Baptist preacher who has been outed to his parents and is sent to a conversion program. This film focuses on the important story of conversion programs that still exist throughout the world.

The Hate U Give

(Released October 19-Rated PG-13) A film based on the acclaimed novel by Angie Thomas, The Hate U Give follows Starr Carter (Amandla Stenberg) who witnesses the shooting of her close friend Khalil by a police officer. Going between the rich prep school she attends and the poor neighborhood she lives in, she must find a way to have her voice heard.

Movies Coming Soon.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

(Releases November 16-Rated PG-13) The sequel in the Fantastic Beasts series follows the adventures of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) as the dark wizard Gellert Gindelwald (Johnny Depp) is gathering followers for his plan to make pure-blood wizards rule over non-magical beings. This movie promises lots of suspense and wizarding adventures.

At Eternity’s Gate

(Releases November 16-Rated PG-13) This film follows the story of the famous artist, Vincent Van Gogh’s, life while he was living in Arles and Auvers-sur-Oise, France. Starring Willem Dafoe as Van Gogh, it delves into the emotional journey of his mind as a troubled painter.

Ralph Breaks the Internet

(Releases November 21-Rated PG) This sequel to the fan-favorite movie, Wreck-It Ralph, continues the adventures of Ralph and Vanellope as they discover the internet in their arcade. This movie will be full of fun for families with performances from the likes of Gal Gadot, Mandy Moore, Kristen Bell, and many more.

The Favourite

(Releases November 23-Rated R) Telling the absurd story of Queen Anne in the early 18th century, The Favourite stars Olivia Coleman as the Queen with her close friend Lady Sarah (Rachel Weisz) as she takes the charming new servant (Emma Stone) under her wing. Another film directed by Yorgos Lanthimos (known for The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer), it promises a unique and entertaining portrayal of the Queen’s life.

Mary Queen of Scots

(Releases December 7-Not Yet Rated) This drama documents the story of Mary Stuart as she attempts to overthrow Queen Elizabeth I, her own cousin. With the talents of Margot Robbie and Saoirse Ronan, this film will showcase the strength of these two women in the pursuit of power.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

(Releases December 14-Not Yet Rated) This animated Spider-Man installment follows Miles Morales (Shameik Moore) as he explores parallel dimensions where other Spider-Men exist in order to stop threats that cross the dimensions. This movie also stars Nicolas Cage, Hailee Steinfeld, and John Mulaney.

Mortal Engines 

(Releases December 14-Rated PG-13) In a futuristic world, Hester Shaw (Hera Hilmar) is a young woman who teams up with outcasts in an attempt to stop a predator city on wheels, London, that threatens to destroy everything in its way.

Mary Poppins Returns

(Releases December 19-Rated PG) Over fifty years after the classic tale of Mary Poppins, this movie brings back the iconic character as she comes back to visit the Banks family to help them through recent challenges that have impacted their family. Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins will reinvent the magic that inspired children for decades.

On the Basis of Sex

(Releases December 25-PG-13) This film tells the story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and her journey to overcome gender stereotypes to become a Supreme Court Justice. Starring Felicity Jones, this story demonstrates true female empowerment in history.

Lainey is a senior at Kent State University studying Fashion Design with a minor in Costume Design & Technology. She is so excited to be the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Kent State this year and to start her career in costume design for film and television. Read on for the latest on film, fashion, music and much more!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.