Style

Top 5 Most Outrageous Looks From the 2019 Grammys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

For this year’s Grammy Awards, no one seemed to play it safe. Instead of seeing your typical evening gown and tux, everyone brought out their most show-stopping looks. Here are 5 of the most outrageous and daring looks seen on this year’s red carpet.

1.) Cardi B

Cardi B did not come to play in this vintage Mugler ensemble. Doused in pearls and pink satin, this look is most definitely extravagant and one that will catch your eye. Throughout the night it seemed as though structured silhouettes were a common theme, but none seemed to be as out there as this one. People have had all sorts of comparisons and thoughts on this outfit, but in my personal opinion, I don’t think there is anyone who could pull off this peacock looking ensemble quite like Cardi B.

2.) Janelle Monáe

Here we have yet another structured look worn by none other than Janelle Monáe. If you have kept up with recent red carpet fashion, you know that Janelle Monáe has never been one to play it safe. Her looks are always some of the most talked about because she is not afraid to be bold, which you can see from this structured Jean Paul Gaultier dress. She really took the 80s pointy shoulder pads to brand new heights (literally). No matter what crazy look she wears, Janelle always pulls it off and looks stunning while doing it.

3.) Kylie Jenner

It is no surprise to see Kylie Jenner rocking some Balmain, as that seems to be her go to designer when it comes to red carpets. It is shocking, however, to see her not in a super form fitting dress that shows off her rocking curves. This more out there piece with broad shoulders and loose fitting pants is not something we typically see from Kylie. The baby pink looks phenomenal on her skin tone, and it is nice to see her change up her style a bit from her typical black or white form fitting looks. 

4.) Katy Perry

Katy Perry was also sporting a baby pink Balmain ensemble with a unique silhouette. I feel as though Katy Perry is another one of those people who could truly pull off any look she tried, and this look is proof of that. This dress is unlike anything I have ever seen before, and while I would never choose it for myself, I think Katy makes it work. This balloon shaped skirt almost reminds me of a cake topper but in the best way possible. Yes, this look really shocked me at first when I saw it, however, the more I look at it, the more I love it.

5.) Tierra Whack

There are still many other outrageous looks that graced the red carpet Sunday night, however, I couldn’t leave Tierra Whack off this list. Her colorful dress and feathered coat turned many heads on the red carpet and continues to be a talked about look. This look was designed by a fairly small designer Nancy Beringer. Everything from the hair to the makeup to the outfit is unique and something new catches your eye every time you look at it. 

Natalie is a freshman fashion merchandising student with a double minor in marketing and fashion media at Kent State. At home in Springboro, Ohio she enjoys spending time with friends, family, and her dog, Maci. Her interests include fashion, beauty, lifestyle, dogs and much more! In high school, she danced and participated in her high school's choir and theater program. While her studies are very important to her, she does enjoy being involved in many clubs and organizations including the Fashion Student Organization, Modista, and of course Her Campus. She hopes to one day live in a big city working for a fashion magazine, and just generally doing what she loves.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.