Thrift Tips to Step Up Your Second-Hand Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Thrifting can be a daunting task, but with these tips and tricks, you can maximize each trip you take to the thrift for some one-of-a-kind finds!

Seeing the local indie kids arrive at the thrift before you is a type of anxiety all of us know too well. But have no fear: this handy guide will ensure that you are blessed by the thrift store gods.

The first thing I do before even stepping into a thrift store is creating a game plan. Every thrift trip I go on starts by browsing my outfit Pinterest board and seeing what items I have been pinning the most lately. This will tell you which section of the thrift you should hit first. Lately, I have been pinning tons of vintage corsets and sleepwear sets, so I will head over to the lingerie and sleepwear section when I arrive in order to secure my most valued item right off the bat. 

Once you have hit your most important section, think back to your other trips and remember what section is usually the most successful for you at that particular store. The key to thrifting is looking at every article of clothing on the rack. And yes, I mean every. Single. One. It may take a while to get the hang of fast-sorting through the rack, but once you have mastered the skill, you will have so much more success in the thrift.  

If you have limited time in the thrift store and cannot sort through every article of clothing, then be sure of your color and fabrication preferences. This way you can look at a rack and only pull out the pieces that fit your schemes. 

Finally, visit the accessories and shoe section last. This tip is important, as it will help you to narrow down accessories and shoes according to the clothing you have already picked out. With new pieces already in your cart, you can explore the best finishing pieces to add to the look. Not only will this approach give you a better sense for the “extras” to perfectly complement your new wardrobe pieces, but it will help you think more strategically about how to add the right finishing touches to the pieces you already own. 

Now, get shopping! 

Annie Gleydura

Kent State '24

I am Annie Gleydura. I’m a sophomore majoring in Fashion Merchandising and minoring in both fashion media and creative writing. My passions include fashion, writing, art, and makeup.