The three best ways to help Hurricane Harvey relief even if you don’t live in Texas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It’s been roughly two weeks since Hurricane Harvey first hit Texas, and as the rain continues to pour, Texas remains strong due to the many volunteers and professionals that come together to aid in Hurricane Harvey relief. Unfortunately, despite the rescue efforts, many residents in Southern Texas have lost all of their possessions, and in some cases, they’ve even lost their lives.

Throughout these last two weeks I’ve heard people all around me say, “I want to help, I’m just not sure how?” I hate hearing that people feel helpless in a time of urgency and I want everyone to know that there’s always a way to help, especially for my girls and guys that live pretty far from Texas.

So Collegiettes, I have comprised this short list of things you can do to help Hurricane Harvey relief (even if you’re nowhere near Texas).

1. Donate Money

I know that many of us are short of cash because well, we’re college students, but donating money is really one of the best options. According to CNN, Harvey could cost upwards of $40 billion in damages; so even donating a couple dollars is something, especially in regards to food banks. I know it might be easier to donate food, but you should really consider donating money instead because the food banks will spend your donation most effectively. Here are some safe local websites you can donate to:

• GlobalGiving: “the largest global crowdfunding community connecting nonprofits, donors, and companies in nearly every country.”
  • United Way of Greater Houston: “have launched the United Way Relief Fund to help meet storm-related needs and recovery in our community. 100% of your gift to the United Way Relief Fund goes to help our neighbors and our community recover from Hurricane Harvey.
  • Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund: “Mayor Sylvester Turner and County Judge Ed Emmett have established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund that will accept tax-deductible flood relief donations for victims affected by the recent floods.”
  • Feeding Texas: “we feed millions of struggling Texans through our statewide network of food banks; strengthen the collective response to hunger through collaboration and scaling success; and lead the public conversation to solve hunger in our state.”

2. Donate your blood

Please, if you are able, donate your blood. Find your nearest Red Cross clinic and donate; blood donation is crucial in these situations.

3. Donate the essentials

Currently the Missouri City Rec. & Tennis Center is taking donations for blankets, towels, pillows, air mattresses, toiletries, and non-perishable snacks. 2701 Cypress Point Drive, Missouri City, TX 77459

In a time of crisis, it is important that we ban together to take care of those who are suffering. Even if you are a college student. you still have the power to make a difference! 

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.