“This is Why” You Should Care About Paramore’s Long-Awaited Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Paramore is finally back after a five-year hiatus!

Paramore is probably my favorite band of all time so I am kind of freaking out about this new era we are now in! To give a little bit of background, Paramore formed back in 2004 in Franklin, Tennessee. The band currently consists of lead vocalist Hayley Williams, guitarist Taylor York and drummer Zac Farro. Williams and Farro are founding members of the group while York joined in 2007. The band’s second album, “Riot!” was released in 2007, and it was a mainstream success thanks to the singles “Misery Business” and “That’s What You Get.” This is ultimately what put Paramore on the map. They even received a Best New Artist nomination at the 2008 Grammys. From there, the band has only gone up and have released three albums since then. 

The band decided to take a hiatus after the “After Laughter” era back in 2017. During this break, Williams released two solo albums but the band never exactly broke up. Last year, she hinted about a new Paramore album on the way, and they finally announced it a few weeks back. Fans had mixed reactions to their fifth album because it didn’t have their iconic “pop punk” feel. So I think a lot of the fanbase wasn’t sure of what to expect from their new music and the kind of sound it would have.

The lead single titled “This Is Why,” which is the title of the new album, dropped on September 28, 2022. The new single has an explosive pop rock chorus that is guaranteed to get stuck in your head. The bass line is one of my favorite parts of this track. This makes me feel hopeful and excited for their new album. Lead singer, Hayley Williams, is also rocking her iconic orange hair from the “Riot” era of Paramore. This alone made fans anticipate their new album even more. Paramore also started performing their big hit “Misery Business” live again after they retired it during the After Laughter tour because of the controversy surrounding the sexist line “Once a wh*re you’re nothing more I’m sorry, that will never change.” In videos I’ve seen from the tour they are currently on, Williams lets the crowd sing that line but she seems to have a more lighthearted outlook on it now. 

Hayley Williams and guitarist Taylor York have also confirmed that they are dating but did not say any further details. Williams and York have been in the band together for 15 years so a lot of the fans were not expecting this. 

Their upcoming sixth studio album “This Is Why” will be dropping on February 10th, 2023. The evolution of Paramore has resonated with a lot of our generation. As the band matures and grows so does their fan base. I can not wait to see what the future of Paramore looks like! 

Kate Gleske

Kent State '24

Hi I’m Kate Gleske. I’m a junior at Kent State and a psychology major :)