This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Just because there is a pandemic going on, doesn’t mean that the holiday is canceled. You can have a fun holiday in the comfort of your own home by doing some of the following.

Dress Up

Even if you’re not going out, you can still dress up and have fun at your house. You can think as out-of-the-box as you want and not get judged. You can put 110% effort with a full DIY costume that no one has ever done before. Or if DIYing is not your thing, you can just throw on some cat ears and call it a day. Also, get friends involved! If you live with other people, you can do a group costume, so that way you are all in the holiday spirit. If you have a pet, dress them up too. Dressing up is for everybody, not just humans. No matter what you do, it truly depends on you and how much of the holiday spirit you have.

Decorating A Pumpkin

Decorating a pumpkin is one of the staples of Halloween. It does not matter if you paint it or carve it, as long as it is decorated. With being stuck inside, creativity can be through the roof. You could make it basic with the painting by painting Mike Wazowski or make it simple with carving by just carving a face. If you wanna go a different route, you can incorporate COVID into it. You can draw or throw a mask on the pumpkin, just to be safe and give it a relevant theme. 

Drink And Eat Festive Fall Foods

Nothing screams fall more than apple cider and caramel apples. Go out and buys these, or make some of your own! Caramel or candy apples are not that hard to make and you can be as creative as you want when making them. You can use apples you handpicked, or ones you bought from the store. Also, apple cider is a basic fall drink. Some places sell apple cider slushies. If you don’t have a place like this, just put some apple cider in the freezer and you have your own! So, make that pumpkin pie and those cookies. Any fall food you want is on the table since you will have so much time at home to make and enjoy it. 

Pass Out Candy

Children and teens everywhere are still going to be trick or treating for candy. Can you blame them? It’s free candy. So, make sure you either put out a bowl of candy or pass it out. If you pass it out, make sure you’re being safe and careful. Make sure your mask is on and you don’t go near anyone without a mask. If you don’t feel comfortable going this route, put a bowl out and that way you don’t have to be near anyone but you are still involved. The plus side, if no one comes and gets the candy, now you have a bunch of candy for yourself to eat.

Watch a Halloween Movie

Get into the Halloween spirit by putting on a holiday movie. It doesn’t have to be scary, it can be a Disney Halloween movie. Whether you put on Halloweentown or Halloween, it is truly up to you and your choice of genre. Don’t forget to make some popcorn and enjoy it. There are so many Halloween movies to choose from that you can have your little marathon in the comfort of your own home. 

Make a Halloween Playlist 

Once October starts, people skip over Halloween and Thanksgiving and listen to Christmas music, but they are missing so many classic songs. Halloween has more songs than you think. There is the whole Rocky Horror soundtrack, original and Glee version. Also, there are many Michael Jackson songs relating to Halloween. Many artists don’t make Halloween songs but they make songs that can fit the Halloween theme. So make a playlist with your own favorite Halloween songs, or find a really good one that you can edit out the songs you don’t like and edit in songs that you do to replace it.

Decorate Your House

Target and Pinterest will be your guide to decorating your house. Pinterest has amazing ideas and Target has all the Halloween decorations anyone could think of. Whether you decorate simply or make your home your personal haunted house, it is up to you. Since some haunted houses are not open this year, you can make your very own haunted house at your home. Or, you can just decorate your home simply with some pumpkins and cobwebs. 

What you do for Halloween is truly up to you. The most important thing to do is to have fun. Halloween is a Saturday and then the next day time falls back an hour. Don’t be afraid to have fun, even if it is just at your home.

Alexandra Golden

Kent State '23

Alexandra is a junior journalism major with a minor in criminology and justice studies. She wants to pursue a career in investigative journalism or in magazine writing when she graduates.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.