Life > Academics

The Best Study Spots at Kent State University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Finding quiet places on campus at Kent State can be difficult, especially if you don’t like studying in your room. Maybe your roommate is always at the dorm, or you just can’t focus at your desk. Whatever it is, there are a few hidden gem study places on campus that can hopefully help you as you prepare for finals season. 

University Library Fourth Floor

The fourth floor of the library is a bit more known than the rest of the locations on this list, but nevertheless, it provides a welcoming environment to study with your friends. You can lounge on the couches or hang out in the booths. Conveniently, the Writing Commons are also on the fourth floor, so if you need any essay help, you can kill two birds with one stone. 

McGilvery Room 317 & 417

After my Geography lecture, I had some time to spare and decided to walk around McGilvery. They have two spots in the building that you can study in, with 317 being a quiet room and 417 encouraging collaboration and a more laidback environment. Out of all the locations on this list, I utilize 417 the most, as its convenient location and overall vibe helps me focus.

Cartwright Hall Lobby

Just a few buildings down from McGilvery, Cartwright’s lobby provides a comfy area to work on homework in-between classes. One of the prettiest study spots on this list, its open space and beautiful architecture gives regal academia vibes that are perfect for studying. 

Lower Level of Student Center

The Lower Level of the Student Center not only houses karaoke and a pool table, but also comfy seating and study rooms that tend not to be as busy as the library. Although the hours aren’t suitable for late night studying, I like using the booths in-between my classes, and I prefer the calmer environment that the fourth floor of the library doesn’t have.

Center for Undergraduate Excellence

Recommended to me by a friend, the CUE is truly a hidden gem. It by far has the best seating if you are able to snag a booth, and overall is less busy than the other spots on this list. If you live in the Honors College or Lake and Olson, the location can’t be beat.

College of Architecture and Environmental Design 

If you like to snack on something while cramming, CAED might be perfect for you. The George T. Simon III Café has everything you need to stay focused, and they provide meal exchanges, so you don’t need to spend anything if you have a compatible meal plan. Also, if the Starbucks by Bowman isn’t your thing, the café makes plenty of drinks, including coffee and tea. 

Overall, it is important to find a space that works for you, as everyone studies in a different way. While these spots won’t be as quiet as the upper floors of the library, they provide a perfect area to lounge with friends while you work on homework or an essay. Kent has plenty of study spots, and maybe if you explore enough you can find your own secret spot!

Zoë Eigenbrod

Kent State '27

Hi! My name is Zoë, and I am a freshman at Kent State University studying computer science with a concentration in cybersecurity. Other than writing, I love cats, listening to K-pop and drinking anything pumpkin-flavored.