A Thank You Letter to Mom and Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Being a senior in college, there are far to many changes happening. I am nearing my last semester, attempting to prepare for the “real world,” losing old friends and making new ones and attempting to find a “big girl” job. It hit me over winter break that life is changing quickly. So, as my time of coming home for winter and summer breaks comes to an end, I have spent some time reflecting on everything my parents have done for me and how appreciative I am of both of them. Being fourteen hours away at school, I sometimes forget how lucky I am to have two people in my life who care so much about me and my happiness. This one’s for you, mom and dad.

Dear Mom and Dad,

As I sit here thinking of where to start, my mind races with so many memories, advice and laughs we have shared over the past 21 years. There are so many things I want to say thank you for.

Thank you for supporting my Barbie and American Girl Doll addiction, even though I had one too many. Thank you for getting us a family dog when I was in second grade, even though you knew you would do most of the work. Thank you for coming to every soccer, basketball and softball game even though I rarely scored any goals, baskets and struck out more than I should’ve. Thank you for helping me with my dreaded math homework and always making time to revise my papers. Thank you for always sending me cards over the past four years while I’ve been away at college, I’ve kept every single one. Thank you for giving me advice, even if I have no interest in hearing it at times, and knowing the right things to say. When I’m having a bad day, calling you and hearing “everything will be okay” automatically makes me feel better.

Thank you for sparking my love of traveling at an early age and showing me the world, quit literally. From road trips to Yellow Stone National Park and North and South Carolina to trips by plane to California, Florida, New York, Maine, Italy and many other places near and far. Whether we were arguing about directions, laughing at one of my jokes, or lounging in a hotel after a long day of sightseeing, our family vacations are some of my favorite memories. I am so lucky to have parents who have such a passion for exploring new places and experiencing different cultures. 

I don’t think I can say thank you enough for always supporting my dreams. I know people whose parents hold them back and don’t support their decisions, but you guys are the exact opposite. Don’t get me wrong, I know it hasn’t be easy or tear-free letting me “leave the nest,” but I would’nt be the person I am today if I hadn’t. You didn’t question why I chose to major in fashion merchandising. You didn’t question or say no when I chose to go to college fourteen hours away from home. You both were extremely supportive and almost as excited as I was about spending my junior year abroad in New York City and Florence, Italy. And for that I will be forever thankful.

There are so many other reasons and memories that make me realize how lucky and fortunate I am to have you both as my parents, my number one fans and my best friends. I hope that when I grow up I can be half the people that you are. I love you to the moon and back, Mom and Dad.

Forever and always,

Your daughter 

Erin Radue

Kent State

Lover of salted carmel lattes, turtlenecks, and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels  |  Just a Minnesota girl dreaming of the Big Apple  
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.