Summer Girl Hawaii Coconut Walking Chillin
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

Summer Playlist For Your Backyard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Looking for a fun summer playlist to listen to in your backyard? Look no further, here are some of the best songs I’ve found so far (that you won’t hear on the radio). It’s a mix of some lesser-known indie artists, as well as some popular ones. Each one puts me in the summer mood, even though we may not be able to go much further than our backyard as of now.

“These Days” by The Wallows

This song has such a light melody and the lead singer’s voice always seems to put me in a good mood. Fun fact: the lead singer is also one of the main actors from Thirteen Reasons Why.

“If You’re Not too Shy (Let Me Know)” by The 1975

Of course, everyone knows who this artist is, but this brand-new song by them has me dancing around my room every day. The mix in of all different instruments is so musically interesting, plus you just can’t beat the sound of Matty Healy’s voice.

“Fangs” by Matt Champion

This song got popular through TikTok, but I promise you the beat and smooth sound of this full song is amazing. It’s the perfect song to close your eyes and sing along to and really feel the moment you’re in.

“Can I Call You Tonight” by Dayglow

Again, the beat of this song just screams fun summer nights to me. You’ll want to get up and dance even if you’re all by yourself. If you’re into this song, then definitely check out the rest of this artist’s discography, it’s amazing.

“Nikes On” by Healy

This is more of a slow song, the same kind of vibe as “Fangs” from above. His voice is so soothing and perfect vibes for the backyard, maybe doing a TikTok DIY as you listen.

“Strawberry Wine” by Lemondrop

This is definitely a lesser-known artist, but so worth looking up and listening to. If you like Clairo, her voice, and her style of music then you’ll definitely be adding this song to your heavy rotation.

“Heaven Falls” / “Fall on Me” by Surfaces

In my opinion, all Surfaces songs give off the summer vibes. They make you feel carefree and the light beat makes you forget the world and jam out.

“Are You Bored Yet?” by Clairo and The Wallows

This is definitely a well-known song but, after listening to it on repeat for the last three months, I can say I still have not gotten bored of it yet. Their two voices together in this song is pretty close to magic to me.

“Cherry Coke Soda” by Sam Soto

This song definitely has a fun summer beat that makes you want to get up and dance. This artist’s style reminds me of an indie version of Neon Trees, if that helps you understand them more.

“TWFNO” by Tiffany Day

Again, such a fun beat to it and they add snap audio to it to make you feel even more in the moment with the artist. Her voice is so smooth and reminds me of a slightly rougher Clairo.

“Tearing Me Apart” by Ernest Rareberrg

I think of this as a slight rock twist on a classic summer indie beat. If you like old Tame Impala and COIN, then you should definitely check this artist out more.

“Oh, but Lover” by Haiva Ru

Another artist that reminds me of Clairo, (I guess I like her quite a bit) is Haiva Ru. This is an underground artist with an amazing voice and such fun music. Her lyrics are also super comforting and fun to sing along to.

“It Feels Like We Only Go Backwards” by Tame Impala

This is such a classic song for me. It genuinely puts me in the happiest mood at any time of the day. Listen for the first time or rediscover it and fall back in love with it like I seem to do every month.

I hope you find some new songs or helped you rediscover some old ones. I know I’ve been listening to these on loop whenever I need a good mood boost mid-day. Enjoy!

Kayla Tyler

Kent State '21

My name is Kayla Tyler and I'm currently studying Managerial Marketing at Kent State University. In addition to serving as a HerCampus writer for the Kent State Chapter I work for Red Bull, and I'm the Apparel Chairwoman for my sorority Phi Mu. I decided to write for HerCampus thanks to my background in attending an all girls high school; it was there where my passion for the female empowerment movement first began. I account that institution and those girls to the woman that I am today. My interests of topic might range from fashion to mental health issues, but the overarching theme is always to have women help other women.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.