Style

The Summer Pieces You Can Keep Wearing This Fall, According to Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It’s that time of year: seemingly overnight, the temperatures have dropped and your closet is ill-prepared. And to make matters worse, it’s freezing when you leave for class in the morning and hot as hell by the time you leave. But I have good news, it’s easier than ever to wear your favorite summer staples, even on the coldest of days. Now, let’s learn from the best – and by the best, I obviously mean Instagram’s fashion it-girls.

Midi Skirts

The skirts we loved last season don’t have to be packed away this fall. Just wear your favorite midi with a chunky knit sweater and boots.

Tank Tops

This layering trick is probably the easiest to try out, just layer your go-to tank over a turtleneck for warmth. Then add jewelry to your liking for some visual interest.

Denim Cutoffs

Possibly the most challenging item on this list, denim cutoffs can work in the fall season. Style with a blazer and sneakers for the athleisure look of any Instagram girl’s dreams. 

Floral Dresses

Similar to the earlier tank-layering trick, try putting a long-sleeve under a floral mini. Tip: Try a dress in a fall-appropriate color like burgundy or black. 

White Sneakers

Whether your go-to pair are Converse, Nike or Filas, they can go with any fall outfit formula. Just swap your summer shorts-and tube-top combo for jeans and a cardigan.

Graphic Tee

To rock a graphic tee all year round, just add a turtleneck in a color that matches the graphic. For the colder days, layer a bomber or leather jacket on top. 

Thanks to our Instagram feeds, you’ve got all the inspiration you need. Grab your turtlenecks, jackets and favorite summer pieces and get to work! And don’t forget to tag @hercampusstyle if you try any of these looks. 

Sarah is a fashion merchandising major with a minor in fashion media at Kent State University. A New Jersey native, she relocated to Ohio to study at KSU. She is also a web writer for A Magazine and The Burr Magazine, as well as a community member of CollegeFashionista. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Sarah online shopping, chugging coffee or watching horror flicks.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.