Starting the Day Right: Here’s How to Create the Perfect Morning Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Let’s face it — mornings can be tough, even for us morning people. Whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, having a routine you do each morning has lots of benefits for you to make the best of the beginning of each day. Keeping a routine that you do each morning can help you wake up, get up and boss up. Today, we’re sharing with you some of our favorite things to do each morning that gets us ready for an amazing day, every day. 

Wake Up Early

Yes, we said it! Waking up early is shown to make you more productive and gives you time to have a relaxing morning. It helps if you wake up at least an hour before you have to leave for class or work and go to bed early the night before. Though it can be tempting, don’t hit snooze! Sit up, stretch, open the curtains and do your thing.

Drink Something

First, hydrate with a glass of lemon water. Water with lemon has been shown to give your immune system a boost, aid digestion and cleanse your system. After some water, if you want, wake yourself up with your cup of coffee or tea. Sit and sip. Enjoy a slow moment to yourself and get excited for the day ahead.

Journal, Read or Both

Taking the time to journal or read in the morning is a mindful practice that gives you a break from the endless scrolling on your phone. Write down things you’re grateful for, goals you have for the day, thoughts or feelings stuck in your head or simply journal about anything that comes to mind. If you’re more of a reader, take some time to read a few pages of the book you’ve been wanting to start or needing to finish. I don’t know about you, but I have a pile of books on my shelf that are dying for attention!

Eat Breakfast

You know what they say — breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Make sure you eat something before starting your day, whether it’s as small as a granola bar or as big as a pile of pancakes. Eating breakfast gives you energy, improves concentration and gives you the nutrients you need. Now, who doesn’t want that? 

Move It and Grove It

Treat your body to some exercise! Morning exercise improves your physical and mental health and gives you some serious self-care time. Movement also helps get rid of that stiff feeling you may get from sleeping. Whether you do some yoga, go for a walk outside, head to the gym or even just do some stretching, your body will thank you. 

Planning and Positivity

Making a to-do list and repeating positive affirmations gives you the productivity boost you need to own the day ahead of you. Write down every goal and thing you need to get done for the day. If you can, try to start with the big tasks first so the rest of the day will flow smoothly. Remind yourself you have the power to get done what you need to and that you will have a great day. Smile and take a deep breath, you got this!

Now that you have a few ideas of things to add to your morning, you’re ready to conquer the day! Always do what feels best for you and feel free to add more to this list. Make mornings the best part of the day (yes, even the Monday ones), and remember, don’t hit that snooze button! 

Bella is a Communication Studies major and Advertising minor at Kent State University. She loves acting in front of the camera, journaling about anything and everything, and spending time with her family and friends (especially if ice cream is involved). She hopes to run her own blog one day soon and can be found in your nearest cafe, listening to John Mayer... the usual.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.