Single AF and how you can benefit from it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

More and more people are opting out of the romance scene and choosing to stay single. A report by Pew Research predicts that 25% of millennials will never marry. In fact, not so long ago, a Gallup Poll reported that 64% of adults between the ages of 18 and 29 are single. So if it seems like you’re the last single person on the face of the planet, you can officially stop stressing. Besides, there could be worse things, right? To shift your focus off of what you don’t have and onto what you do, here’s a few reasons why we love being single:

1. You’ll have more time to spend with family and friends

You don’t constantly have plans with your partner. When you do, it seems like you’ve been meaning to do something with your sister, or your mom, or that friend you haven’t seen in forever. Without a partner, there’s a lot less time conflictions.

2. You can travel whenever and wherever you want

You don’t have to worry about your partner’s schedule, or his/her travel preferences, or what they want to do; you can just go.

3. You’ll gain perspective

It’s easy to be ignorant of certain things when your mind is wrapped up around your partner. When don’t have an S.O., you can take your focus off that person, and use it to see things in a new light.

4. You’ll save money

Singles who aren’t dating at all are more than likely not spending a ton of extra money, not only on social outings, but also on another person. There’s no denying that having a little extra cash in your pocket is a nice thing.

5. You don’t make decisions revolved around someone else

You’re big life decisions are your own to make. You don’t have to worry about how your decisions will affect your partner. You can do what’s right for you, not for you and bae.

6. You avoid settling for less

About 40-50% of marriages in the U.S. end in divorce. Sometimes, things happen and it just doesn’t work out. Sometimes, you realize your partner was never really a good match for you. Other times, the two of you simply grow apart. Etither way, when you’re single, you avaoid having to go through the bad apples to find a good one.

7. You can do whatever you want.

You can catch that movie you’ve been dying to see without worrying if your partner will like it. You can go to that restaurant you love without the excuse that your partner doesn’t like that type of food. Indulge in your favorites without hesitation.

8. You have time to master a new skill.

Being single, you have more time to invest in yourself. If you’re like me, you’ve got a list of things you’ve always wanted to try, but never got around to doing. When you’re single, you aren’t tied up doing whatever activities your partner enjoys doing. You can put your time into the things you want to learn.

9. You can fuel your passions

Again, investing in yourelf is so important. When you’re single, you have time to chase after the things you love. You have time to do anything it takes to make your goals a reality. Whether it’s a big passion or a small one, you are free to pursue it without feeling guilty that you should be spending time with someone else.

10. You’ll find love in other places

Whether it’s in a new friend, or an old one you’ve lost contact with, or even if it’s in the things you realized you love doing. Being single gives you the opportunity to do the things you love and be with the people you love without feeling like you’re being torn in a million directions.

Lauren Milligan is a senior English major at Kent State University. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a content creator for the Odyssey. When she's not scribbling in her journal, sipping coffee and writing at Tree City Coffee, she is probably feeding her horror movie obsession or hitting up local bookstores to contribute to the small library in her bedroom.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.