christmas ornamentsjpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christmas ornamentsjpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels

Should you Start Thinking Christmas?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

How will holiday shopping look in 2020?

There are a lot more factors that play a big role in the holidays this year, like store closures, stay-at-home orders and financial concerns. Considering these factors online shopping is likely to grow. Karl Haller, partner and retail industry expert at IBM Global Business Services says, “2020 will be a digital-first shopping holiday”. 

Throughout this pandemic, there have been many product shortages. It started with food and sanitary products like toilet paper and soap. Then there was a shortage of pools because everyone started buying one since public pools were closed. When stores finally started to open up, they all bought plexiglass to separate their works from the customers. Now can you imagine this same rush during Christmas? There is a limited number of products available already, but if people are Christmas shopping now because they are bored during quarantine, there will be nothing left for late shoppers. Marshal Cohen, Chief Industry Advisor of Retail at The NPD Group said, “there will be an increase in demand for products and tangible gifts, as opposed to experiential gifts (like concert tickets, events, etc.) since people are unsure of what the year ahead holds”. 

Where to shop?

The best way to shop during Covid 19 is online. It is much safer and a lot quicker. Most stores have some type of online website to shop off of. The store you pick to support is based on preference. You may shop where ever you please. But some popular clothing stores include Nordstrom, VictoriasSecret, Forever21, Nike, American eagle/Aerie, Hollister, Lululemon, FashionNova, Zara and many more. One all-time favorite store is Target. You can find anything from food to decor. 

people walking past shops in a mall
Heidi Fin/Unsplash

Popular Online Shopping Sites

1. Amazon

2. eBay

3. Etsy

4. Inspireuplift

Gift Ideas for:

Women

• A candle from BathandBodyworks

• Cozy throw blankets

• Fuzzy socks or slippers 

• Jewelry

• Perfume from FragranceNet

• Goodies like chocolate, candy canes, their favorite snack, etc. 

• Something you know they need

• Something from the heart

Illustration by Sketchify in Canva

Men

• Wallet

• Anything from Carhartt

• Cologne

• Spotify Premium 

• Car cleaning supplies from Grito’sGarage

• Any type of food gift card 

• Something they need 

• Something from the heart 

Made with Canva

Gifts for Anyone

• Coffee mugs

• Gum

• Tea/coffee

• Soap or hand sanitizer

• Cookies

• Scarf

• $10 gift card to Amazon

Gifts mean something different to everyone. You can make it super personal or comical. No matter what you give a person they will love and appreciate it. 

Photo by Porapak Apichodilok from Pexels

How will shipping be affected?

Another thing to consider is shipping. Remember when your packages were delayed because shipping companies were so overwhelmed with deliveries? Well, Christmas is no exception, the same thing could or will happen. Below are deadlines for some of the largest shipping companies according to Easyship– if you want your packages to arrive by Christmas Day.

UPS

• UPS Ground Shipping: Wednesday, December 16

• UPS Next Day Air: Friday, December 18

• UPS 2nd Day Air: Friday, December 18

• UPS 3 Day Select: Saturday, December 19

FedEx

• FedEx Ground/Home Delivery: Saturday, December 19

• FedEx Express Saver: Monday, December 21

• FedEx 2Day: Tuesday, December 22

• FedEx Overnight: Wednesday, December 23

USPS

• USPS Retail Ground: Friday, December 16

• First-Class Mail: Monday, December 21

• Priority Mail: Monday, December 21

• USPS Priority Mail Express: Tuesday, December 22

Conclusion

Either way, you can shop early or choose to wait. The choice is yours. Just be aware that this year will be different and you have to adapt to the changes in the world. Happy shopping!

My name is Maddie. I am a freshman majoring in Fashion Design. This is my first year with Her Campus and I am so excited to be apart of it. I have decided to complete my fall semester at home. So I work at Gloria Horns Sewing Studio on the weekends. I am a very artistic person. I love to sew, paint, scrapbook, and anything that is creative. Let the next 4 years of my life begin!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.