This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Rupaul’s Drag Race returns February 28thon VH1 for season 12 and I personally can not wait. If you are a fan of 80’s tunes, androgyny and pageant gown that I suggest you check out this Emmy winning T.V. show. Rupaul’s Drag Race has had a cultural impact over ten years and has paved the way for LGBTQ representation in mainstream media. Drag Race is an eclectic show that has reached a large demographic of people and can be enjoyed no matter your gender, race or sexual identity. In honor of Season 12 starting, I have compiled a list of the best lip syncs of all time on Rupaul’s Drag Race in order of seasons. So Gentlemen, Start Your Engines and May the Best Woman Win! 

Morgan McMichaels vs. Sonique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI5KPWvVxqM&list=PLjRIf2pflBM6cxjLgWdHQH1zbUaaHb2q9&index=4

Season 2 introduced to who RuPaul calls “the hardest working queen in show business” Morgan McMichaels and Trans icon Sonique. In Season 2 these queens danced to “Two of Hearts” by Stacey Q and they both absolutely turned it out. Both queens had completely different styles going into the lip-sync, and Morgan McMichaels sent Sonique home with her sleek and on-point dance moves.

Carmen Carerra vs. Raja

Carmen Carerra and Raja battled it out on Rupaul’s Drag Race Season 3 to what might be the best 80’s Paula Abdul song, “Straight Up.” Carmen Carerra, now a Trans icon and activist, was sent home and Raja eventually went on to win the crown and become one of the most influential fashionistas in Drag Race herstory.

The Princess vs. Dida Ritz

This may be the best lip sync in Rupaul’s Drag Race herstory. Season 4 saw Dida Ritza and The Princess battled it out to Natalie Cole’s “This Will Be” while Ms. Cole herself watched from the judge’s panel. What Dida Ritz did in this lip sync has already gone down in history, she hit every word and every beat flawlessly, there aren’t words to describe the feeling you get when you watch her perform. Dida Ritz won the lip sync and The Princess ended up Sashaying Away.

Alyssa Edwards vs. Roxxxy Andrews

Season 5 brought an emotional lip-sync to the runway between Alyssa Edwards and Roxxxy Andrews when they lip-synced to Willow’s “Whip My Hair”. This lip sync brought us the iconic Roxxxy Andrews double wig reveal that has gone down in meme history. This lip sync was so good that Rupaul decided to save both girls. Which taught long term Drag Race fans that when RuPaul says “now that is what I call a lip-sync for your life” she’s probably about to do a double save. 

Trinity K. Bonet vs. Milk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFvD_lxY3ew

Season 6 showed us that Trinity K. Bonet is a true lip-sync assassin. Many girls went against her in this season, but Trinity turned it out almost every time. The two queens performed to Salt-N-Pepa’s “Whatta Man” featuring En Vogue and by the way Trinity performs you would think she is a member of Salt n Peppa herself. Milk Sashayed Away and Trinity eventually went home later in the season.

Katya vs. Kennedy Davenport

Katya Zamolodchikova is one of the most influential and well-known queens from Rupaul’s Drag Race. While Katya is known for her gymnast skills,  Kennedy Davenport is known as the “dancing diva of Texas.” This lip sync to Katy Perry’s “Roar” was full of double splits, high kicks, and hair flips galore! Katya ended up Sashaying Away after this lip-sync but made her return on All-Stars 2, and Davenport made it to the final four until she Sashayed Away.

Naysha Lopez vs. Chi-Chi Devayne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW9EofPaLB0

Chi-Chi Devayne is another lip-sync assassin. In Season 8 she showcases her “Louisiana Glamour” and killer dance moves. This lip sync against beauty queen Naysha Lopez to Blondie’s timeless classic, “Call Me” while Debbie Harry and Chris Stein watched from the judge’s panel. Chi-Chi Devayne sent Naysha Lopez packing in this lip-sync and eventually made it to the top four.

Sasha Velour vs. Shea Coulee

Another absolutely iconic lip-sync performance was showcased during the Season 9 Grand Finale between Sasha Velour and Shea Coulee. There way not be a young person alive today who hasn’t seen the gif of Sasha Velour shaking rose petals out of her wig while lip-syncing to Whitney Houston’s “So Emotional.” It is a moment that will live in infamy. The classic Whitney 80’s tune, the rose petals, the emotion of the two performers, just simply iconic. Sasha Velour went on to win Rupaul’s Drag Race Season 9

Kameron Michales vs. Eureka O’hara

Season 10 brought us Kameron Michaels, a shy queen who surprised everyone with her lip-syncing abilities. When she went up against Eureka O’hara, everyone wondered what would happen to two major contenders for the Season 10 crown. The lip-sync to Patti LaBelle’s “New Attitude” gave us simultaneous double splits that brought cheers from the judge’s panel. The lip-sync itself was so iconic between both queens RuPaul opted to save both queens.

Yvie Oddly vs. Brooke Lynn Hytes

The latest season of RuPaul’s Drag Race gave us self proclaimed oddball, Yvie Oddly, and professionally trained ballerina Brooke Lynn Hytes twirling to “Sorry Not Sorry” by Demi Lavato. Yvie Oddly did a front flip while simultaneously doing a wig reveal as Brooke Lynn Hytes showed major sex appeal while spinning and flipping to the beat. This amazing performance led to another double save by RuPaul, with Yvie Oddly going on to win the crown and Brooke Lynn Hytes making it to the final two.

Rupaul’s Drag Race returns for Season 12 February 28th at 8 p.m. on VHI.

Grace Christopher

Kent State '22

Grace Christopher is a Graduate student in Journalism and Mass Communication at Kent State University. She graduated from Youngstown State University in May with her Bachelor's in History and Political Science.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.