miss congeniality sandra bullock
miss congeniality sandra bullock
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Style

From Runway to Real Life: Three Trends to Try Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

New York Fashion Week has come to a close, leaving us all eager to update our wardrobes. Although the looks shown were for Spring/Summer 2020, many of them can be made to work for fall and winter. I’ve rounded up some of my favorites for this article, so you can start rocking them right now.

Exaggerated Shoulders

One of the biggest trends of the season was exaggerated shoulders. Whether puffed or padded, shoulders are going to be big. The bold silhouette was the focal point of this Christian Siriano dress that I just can’t stop dreaming about. Get the look for yourself with this dress by Zara. Just add chunky boots and you have an on trend look for the season. Best to rock this look before it gets too cold though, can’t have a jacket covering up these puffed shoulders! More into separates? Try this subtlety leopard printed blouse from Target, it’ll look good with anything from every jeans to miniskirts!

Stripped Dresses

Ankle grazing styles were seen over and over again on the runways. I think Zimmermann did it best with this gorgeous mix of colors, paired with a statement necklace and a metallic flat. While I know this is going to be a perfect trend for spring I’m excited to start rocking the look now! Try Urban Outfitter’s take on the style, featuring more autumnal colors. Paired with your favorite ankle booties and a suede jacket, this would be a perfect fall look. For something a little more timeless, try this block stripped version from H&M, and pair it with some white sneakers for a lowkey look or for everything from classes to weekend brunch plans.

Polka Dot Mixes

Polka Dots were strong parts of several collections this season, which may come as a surprise after having been relatively overlooked the past few seasons. Carolina Herrera used them in almost half of her looks, I particularly loved this dress that made use of large and small polka dots. Pattern play is always fun, so try it out for yourself with this Top Shop dress, featuring a patchwork of fabrics with large and small polka dots. Want something a little more daring? Try out this polka dot and plaid Champion sweatshirt, perfect for a chilly morning on campus. Bonus: the addition of plaid will make this trend feel just right for fall!

Hopefully you’re inspired to try out a few of these trends, as if fashion week wasn’t already inspiring enough!

Caroline is a senior fashion merchandising major with a minor in business. She loves being apart of the Her Campus editorial team at Kent State! Fashion is her passion but her other interests include cooking, wine, yoga, reading, sustainability, and animals -especially her fur babies Sophia Lucia and Zara Bella, and yes, she knows their names are extra but she loves to be extra. Click the links below to keep up with her on Instagram and Twitter! Questions? Comments? Email her! cwebst11@kent.edu
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.