This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Diana the Musical hit the screens of all Netflix viewers on October 1st, 2021. Despite not being able to open on Broadway two years ago due to the pandemic, the show was able to get a pro-shot done so everyone can enjoy the show, even if you can’t make it to New York for it’s reopening. 

The first topic of this show I want to discuss is the costumes, which I can say off the bat all the costumes are amazing and extremely accurate to outfits actually worn by Princess Diana. 

They of course feature the revenge dress (my favorite), along with her famous sheep sweater, green dress, and many more.

Along with the costumes being so accurate, there were also some insane quick changes that were done on stage that seemed almost like magic. One of the costume changes that absolutely blew me away was the effortless change where Diana changes into her wedding dress. She goes from a silky nightgown to her iconic wedding dress in just a few seconds, which is absolutely insane. 

The soundtrack to the show also blew me away. When the show was initially announced, I pictured a soundtrack that was like Beauty and the Beast or even Phantom of the Opera vibes. Right from the opening number it’s evident that it is not going to be a classical musical. All the songs are upbeat and have sort of a pop vibe to them. They are very standard musical theater songs.

I liked this because I think it helps pull the point along that Diana was just a teenager who loved pop music and having fun. She was only 19 when she was married, so she was still very young and in the pop music phase of her life. I think the choice for the soundtrack is perfect.

Now for the cast, I mainly want to talk about Jeanna de Waal, who plays Diana. Jeanna absolutely PERFECTED the role of Diana. You could see the amount of time and effort she put into becoming Diana just by watching how her face and body moved. Every facial expression looked like Diana, and she moved in the same way Diana did, it was absolutely perfect. Her facials blew me away the most, she perfected the iconic Diana face, and it made the show amazing.

Overall, I loved Diana the Musical, could it be because I am an extreme Princess Diana fan? Probably yes, but I think even if you don’t know anything about the British Crown, you would enjoy this musical. It’s like a starter pack to a Diana obsession. I’m very happy the people’s princess is still getting recognition and being praised.

Aislinn Foran is a Junior Communications Major with a minor in Public Relations . She is the current President of the Kent State Her Campus Chapter. Aislinn loves all things social media and dreams of one day having her dream job as a brand social media specialist. She loves to write about pop culture, books, and music/concerts.