Culture > News

Remembering Kobe Bryant: Kobe’s Top 10 Moments On And Off the Court

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

On January 26, 2020, time stood still as the tragic news of a helicopter crash reached friends, family, and fans across the globe. Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and seven other individuals tragically lost their lives while on their way to the Mamba Sports Academy for a basketball game. 

For over 20 years, Kobe Bryant has been an inspiration for not only kids but for adults chasing their dreams. This 5-time NBA champion’s win-at-all-costs attitude, otherwise known as “Mamba Mentality” has inspired and consisted of driving people to have curiosity and to be their absolute best at their craft.  

I can’t lie and say I’ve been a die-hard Kobe fan my entire life, however in the past year or so, I began watching video after video on this “Mamba Mentality” way of thinking. Personally, I am enamored by the consistent hard work and dedication he brings to the game of basketball and to his passions of storytelling, coaching and being a dad. That being said, here are some of my favorite moments from Kobe’s career on and off the court!

Lakers vs. Indiana Pacers at Conference Finals (Game 4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhGj48eVZK0&feature=youtu.be

Prior to game 4 of the conference finals, Kobe was out with a sprained ankle for most of game 2 and all of game 3. Bryant went from having an ankle injury to play 47 of the 53-minute game. He scored a total of 28 points, 8 of which occurred in overtime when fellow NBA teammate Shaq fouled out, giving the Lakers a 120-118 win.

Three-Peat

Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal were able to win three consecutive NBA championships (2000/2001/2002). Only four major professional sports teams have been able to win three consecutive championships, the Lakers being the fifth.

2009 & 2010 Championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_nAtdjplM

With already 3 championships under his belt, why not add two more right? Bryant was named NBA Finals MVP both years.

Lakers vs. The Golden State Warriors on April 12, 2013

The moment where everyone saw Bryant’s resilient strength to drain two foul shots immediately after tearing his left Achilles tendon.

Kobe’s Children Book Series

After retiring from the game of basketball Bryant took a new approach to express his creativity. Bryant created his first volume of children’s fantasy books called, The Wizenard Series. He then released a second and third book called, Legacy and the Queen and Epoca: The Tree of Ecrof. All three books are centered around self-awareness and how to deal with both success and failure.​

Mr. 81

Yep… 81 points. I’m gonna leave it at that.

Opening Mamba Sports Academy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIsRHMQGXlc&feature=youtu.be

In 2018, Bryant co-founded the Mamba Sports Academy with CEO Chad Faulkner. The facility houses five basketball courts, five-volleyball courts, two beach volleyball courts, esports training ground, batting cages, a turf field, pitching mounds and more. The Mamba Sports Academy is designed to help people of all ages reach their full potential with this multi-platform environment.

“Dear Basketball”

From winning NBA championships to winning Oscars, Bryant has accomplished what no other NBA player has ever before. This is the first Oscar win for any professional athlete! “Dear Basketball” won the best short animated film.

Drops 60 in Final Game

What kind of person scores 60 points in their last professional basketball game? Kobe Bryant! When asked about this night Bryant said, “The coolest thing is that my kids actually saw me play like I used to play.”

Coaching His Daughter, Gianna

Last but not least, one of Bryant’s greatest moments was coaching his daughter, Gianna. In 2017, Bryant told Extra, “…she came to me last summer and asked if I would teach her the game a little bit, so she really just started playing, but she picked up things innately”. Gigi had dreams of following in her dad’s footsteps and one day making it to the WNBA.

Kobe’s legacy will live on, and we hope you continue to share how his sportsmanship and attitude on life have changed you for the better. 

Livi Harmat

Kent State '23

Livi is a junior studying Fashion Merchandsing at Kent State University. In her free time, Livi can be found taking photos, reading, and going to trendy (but yummy) restaurants
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.