This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Let’s be honest, when it comes to a new year, does anything in your daily life really change? Setting new goals for yourself can be hard if you don’t know where to start. Part of the reason most New Year’s resolutions fall through is because they are too drastic to factor into our everyday lives, but if you take baby steps you will be successful! Here are some ideas for easy, tolerable New Year’s resolutions:

Diets

Don’t be scared! Just the slightest change in your eating habits can make a difference in your health. Also, if you limit yourself in moderation, you will find dieting much easier. Instead of cutting pop completely out of your diet, maybe only have pop once a week. If you want to cut out sweets, try only eating one indulgent food every couple of days and go from there. I know that if I put a number to how much I have to weigh, how many calories I eat or how many days a week I’m eating something, it never works out for me. Like I said, if you challenge yourself in moderation, you will see a difference in yourself for the better!

Exercise

Going along with numbers, don’t watch the scale when trying to get in shape. Adding muscle causes the scale to go up and I don’t believe in looking at a number to achieve body satisfaction. When at the gym, understand what machines to use for what you’re trying to achieve with your body. If you strictly want to lose weight, try the elliptical or bike. If you want to build some muscle, and there’s nothing wrong with muscles ladies, then try lifting! Oh, and no one really watches you at the gym so don’t be afraid! Set a goal for yourself and just go for it. You’ve got this!

Study Habits

A new semester ahead calls for a revamped study plan! If you think your study habits aren’t benefiting you, it’s never too late to try a new style of learning! Try post it notes, flash cards, highlighters, study in new locations or even use your planner more… the options are endless.  

Organization

Stay organized! Your mind will be cleared if you take the time to organize your living space, your purse, your book bag, your plans or even your phone. Starting from making your bed in the morning to finishing your homework up right before bed, your mind will thank you if you stay organized and clean.

Motivation

Be more positive as 2018 rolls around. Know how much you are capable of and take every opportunity given to you. Possibilities are endless if you just apply yourself 100%. Be a better version of yourself in the new year! 

Erin Simonek

Kent State

Kent State University | Broadcast Journalism Major | Political Science/ Public Relations Minor 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.