Read Before You See: Upcoming Book to Movie Adaptations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

With all of the hype around the new movie adaptation of “My Policeman” these past couple of weeks, it’s like we are living in 2012 again. If you are like me, there is just nothing better than one of your favorite stories being brought to life. Right now so many books are being made into movies or short series. If you are a person that loves to debate whether or not the book was better, here I have for you five upcoming book-to-movie adaptations to look out for! 

1. Daisy Jones and the Six
  • The highly beloved book by Taylor Jenkins read “Daisy Jones and the Six” is being made into a miniseries. “Daisy Jones and the Six” is a story about love, sex and rock ‘n’ roll in the 70s. The book follows a band and all of the love and heartbreak that follows them. This story got picked up by Amazon Prime starting Riley Keough, Sam Clafin and Suki Waterhouse. It was announced that they wrapped filming in May 2022 but there is still no official release date. With just the pictures alone that we have gotten from behind the scenes, this is for sure an adaptation to keep an eye out for. 
  1. Red, White and Royal Blue 
  • This fun, witty, heartwarming novel by Casey McQuiston is being made into a movie hopefully within the next year. “Red, White and Royal Blue” is a fun story about the First Son of America and the Prince of Wales and what were to happen if they were to find themselves in a relationship and all the mayhem that comes along with it. This movie starring Nicholas Galizine and Taylor Zakhar Perez wrapped filming in August 2022 and is speculated to come out in 2023. I cannot wait to see how this story is brought to life! 
  1. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
  • We cannot talk about adaptations and not talk about “The Hunger Games”. After almost a decade between the release of this book and the third book in “The Hunger Games” trilogy, we got “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” the long-awaited prequel to the hunger games. This prequel takes place 64 years before the events of “The Hunger Games” and follows Snow in his final year at the Academy. This movie is set to come out on November 17, 2023, and will star some new faces for us like Rachel Zegler and Tom Blyth. I am excited to see if this meets the expectations the “Hunger Games” fans have for it. 
  1. Heartstopper 
  • After seeing the words “Heartstopper” you may think that this series already came out and you would be correct. This graphic novel series by Alice Osman has been made into a TV series on Netflix and the first season came out spring of 2022. You may think that you missed the mark on getting to read it before you watched it, but the show has been renewed for two more seasons. The first season of the show covered the first two books in the series but there are still two more that you could read before the upcoming seasons come out. “Heartstopper” is the story where we follow two boys named Nick and Charlie as they embark on they fall in love and figure out who they are. I cannot wait to see these two be brought back to life again. The second season is speculated to be released in 2023. 
  1. Percy Jackson Series
  • Again, you might be thinking that you have already seen the movie adaptations for this beloved YA series. While there is a movie starring Logan Lerman that came out in 2010 that fans were very unhappy with, a whole new project is in the works. The author, Rick Riordan has partnered with Disney+ to make a whole new series for these books. This new series shows a more accurate depiction of these characters, in my opinion, starring Walker Scobell, Leah Jeffries and Aryan Simhadri. This project just started production in the summer of 2022 so they have yet to set a release date. I cannot wait to see these fun myths brought to the screen.
Kerrigan Klicman

Kent State '25

Hi! I am Kerrigan and I am 19, a Sagittarius and an INFJ . I am a sophomore here at Kent State:)