Ranking the Track List of Red (Taylor’s Version) Based on How Excited I Am For the Re-Recording

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Since June, Swifties have been anticipating the release of Red (Taylor’s Version). From doing word searches to figure out the vault tracks to spending all of our money on the multiple merch drops, on top of the fact that she hasn’t released any singles, we are anxious. With the album finally coming on the 12th (a whole week earlier than we originally thought), I decided to look at the track list and rank each song based on how excited I am to hear Taylor’s Version. I excluded “Ronan” from my list because it didn’t feel appropriate to rank given the subject matter of it.

All Too Well (ten minute version)

This one is a given. Ever since I heard that a ten minute version of this song existed, I knew I needed it in my life. And it’s explicit? After this one, I won’t ever be able to watch a movie with Jake Gyllenhaal in it again. This song is also the perfect length so that it’s all I need to listen to on my commute to work. There’s nothing better than blasting “All Too Well” after dealing with annoying customers for hours on end. It’s free therapy. Thanks, Taylor. Also with the announcement of the short film for it as well, this is going to be the only thing I talk about for the next year.

State of Grace

Not only is this her best album opener, but it’s also one of her best songs ever. It’s my personal favorite on Red and second favorite out of her whole discography (right behind “Clean” off 1989). The heavy drums in the beginning and the absolutely beautiful lyrics get me every time and I cannot wait to hear it with her mature vocals. This song is an entire cinematic experience from start to finish. 

Better Man

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the Little Big Town version of this song. However, there’s something so intimate about hearing a song performed by the original writer. Swift wrote “Better Man” all by herself and I can’t wait to hear the emotion in her voice that she put into the lyrics. The live performance of her singing it at the Bluebird Cafe isn’t enough for me. 

The Lucky One

Swift wrote this song pre-Kayne West and pre-Scooter Braun. She had no idea what was coming for her when she originally created this song and this concept. She had yet to really grasp the concept of “They tell you that you’re lucky but you’re so confused / ‘cause you don’t feel pretty, you just feel used / and all the young things line up to take your place.” Sure, she had had her fair share of negative media attention in the first half of her career, but nothing compared to what she endured in the past five years. I’m really excited to see a new perspective on this song since the message still remains clear nine years later.

Nothing New (ft Phoebe Bridgers)

As a die-hard Pharb, I’m more than ready to hear my two favorite sad girls collaborate. I just hope that Phoebe actually gets a verse and is not just doing backup vocals like some of Swift’s recent songs with female artists have been such as “No Body, No Crime” with Haim and “You All Over Me” featuring Marren Morris. Hopefully Swift took the criticisms on her duets to heart and will use Bridger’s beautiful and haunting voice on this track.

Holy Ground

One of the biggest critiques surrounding Swift’s re-releases is that the emotion is not there since she has healed from so many things she used to write about. However, for “Holy Ground”, a much happier song, I’m looking forward to this tone shift as she can now record this with Joe Alywyn in mind and the ‘holy ground’ they have created for each other over the years. Especially the lyric “Tonight I’m gonna dance for all that we’ve been through / but I don’t wanna dance if I’m not dancing with you.” Which strongly parallels “Dancing With Our Hands Tied” off Reputation.

The Last Time (ft gary Lightbody)

Sorry Ed stans, but this is hands down Swift’s best duet of all time. There is no better feeling than listening to this at eight in the morning with the windows down on your way to your local Dunkin’ Donuts. The lyrics and the strings and just how beautiful Swift and Gary Lightbody’s voice sound together is a magical thing. The buildup and production of this song mixed with Swift’s mature vocals is something the re-recording would not be the same without. It’s a top tier track off Red and doesn’t get enough appreciation. 

Begin Again

A song about starting fresh after a toxic relationship re-recorded by a woman who finally met her soulmate? Come on! If anything, this track will be filled with the most emotion out of all the songs she’s re-recording. Let’s not forget to mention the fact that Swift and Alwyn’s anniversary is September 28th, 2016 which was a Wednesday… So she can truly say that on a Wednesday in a cafe she watched it begin again.

Everything Has Changed (ft Ed SHeeran)

I can imagine this re-recording to be therapeutic for Swift. Since she first wrote this song everything in her life has changed. One constant that remained was her friendship with Ed Sheeran, though. Through all her eras and boyfriends and “scandals” she continued to collaborate with Sheeran and support him making this song almost like a love letter to their friendship. 

Red

In 2019, Swift closed her Lover album with the song “Daylight” in which she wrote “I used to think love would be burning red, but it’s golden like daylight”. This is a direct parallel to “Red” as she describes a relationship through colors. She uses blue, dark grey and red to portray her feelings to her listeners. All of those colors bring some type of negative emotion. However, Swift now sees love as golden like daylight. This re-recording may not have the most emotion or heartbreak behind it, but I’m looking forward to the growth and healing in her voice.

The Moment I Knew

I know this one will lack the emotion of the original recording but honestly I don’t care. I think it will be refreshing to hear her go back to this moment from nearly ten years ago and sing from the heart regardless of if it still hurts her or not. 

I Almost Do

I have a similar stance on this song as I do “The Moment I Knew” but mainly this is ranked so high because it’s a really good song.

Run (ft Ed Sheeran)

I absolutely adore “Everything Has Changed” so Swift and Sheeran’s songwriting and vocals together on another song from the Red era is going to be something amazing. Both are incredibly talented and I’m really looking forward to another duet from them. 

Treacherous

One of Swift’s best lyrics of all time is in this song being “I’ll do anything you say / If you say it with your hands” and I’d argue this song also holds one of her best bridges. I think the emotion will still be in this song because on her most recent albums she’s sang about similar concepts from “Treacherous” like in “Illicit Affairs” which she is able to execute beautifully on an emotional level. 

All Too Well

I’m more excited for the ten minute version, although I know the original length one will still make me cry just as much. Everyone loves the classics and this song is just that for Swifties. So even though there will be a longer, explicit version, I will still go back to this one in the name of nostalgia.

Come Back… Be Here

Considering Swift currently has to face the pain of being in a long distance relationship with someone who lives in London while she mainly lives in New York is going to make this re-recording probably better emotionally executed than the original. The dependency she sings about in this song can also parallel “Cornelia Street” from Lover. She feels very passionately about Alwyn and a song like this will only show her love for him even more.

Forever Winter

I just know this one is going to be sad. I really hope it has something to do with being frozen in time like she sang about in “All Too Well” and “Right Where You Left Me” because that concept is something Swift captures so well. 

I Bet You Think About Me (ft Chris stapleton)

Although I am not familiar with Chris Stapleton, with him being a country artist, I have a feeling I know what to expect from this song. I’m not a big fan of country music, unless it’s coming from Swift, but I’m looking forward to this being a (hopefully) spiteful bop based on the title. 

Sad Beautiful Tragic

I find myself skipping this song when I play the album in the car or when it comes on shuffle. Not that it’s a bad song, but it’s kind of a bummer. It’s beautifully written and produced but I can’t say I’m super excited for the re-recording. 

The Very First Night

I’m mainly looking forward to this one since I really am not sure what it’s going to be. With an album like Red, nothing is off limits. It could be super poppy or it could be country or it could be a ballad… the title does not indicate much so I’m looking forward to finding out what it’ll be like. 

Stay Stay Stay

I am definitely looking forward to hearing a song so cheesy and almost silly with her new mature vocals. Many people have a strong dislike for this song from the original Red, but I don’t share those feelings. I think it is necessary to make the album a true breakup album. Now that she has found someone who has stayed with her it will be one of those songs you can almost hear her smile in. 

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

I honestly just can’t wait to hear “Ugh. So he calls me up and he’s like ‘I still love you’” (Taylor’s Version).

Message in a Bottle

The title sounds a bit corny, but Swift does corny well, so while I’m excited for it regardless but I’m not drawn in by the title alone. 

Babe

“Babe” is another country song Taylor Swift has forced me to listen to. I think it’s a good song overall, but I don’t listen to the Sugarland version often because it isn’t really my vibe. However, I think I’ll prefer Taylor’s voice on the track. The lyrics aren’t anything special, but it’s a really catchy song overall. 

State of Grace (acoustic)

Shockingly this isn’t higher in my ranking. However, as much as I love “State of Grace”, I think that the production is part of what makes it so beautiful. The drums are one of my favorite things about the song and without it, it doesn’t feel the same. The acoustic version is beautiful but I’m not as excited for it as I am the others. 

I Knew You Were Trouble

This song is a bop and I loved it at the time it came out originally but compared to everything else on the album it falls flat. I’m not a huge fan of the whole EDM vibe she went with for this song.

Starlight

When I was in the fifth grade I auditioned for my school talent show with a dance to this song and I didn’t make it so honestly I still can’t listen to it or enjoy it to this day and I’m not sure Taylor’s Version will fix that. 

22

I’m not sure how to feel about a 31 year old singing about dancing like she’s 22. I adore this song but the re-recording might feel a bit weird. 

Girl at Home

I hate this song.

Red is one of my favorite albums and certainly holds a lot of nostalgia for me. I think the concept of it being so messy like a person who has a broken heart is genius and often overlooked. I can see myself listening to this on repeat for months until she drops the next re-recording.

Fiona Loudon

Kent State '23

Fiona Loudon (Senior Editor) is a senior at Kent State University studying English with a minor in Creative Writing. She's a Pittsburgh native who enjoys watching movies, reading and spending time with her cat, Link. This is her fifth semester in Her Campus and third semester as Senior Editor.