Puerto Rico is in ruins and Trump tweets about…sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Last week, President Donald Trump utilized his favorite outlet, Twitter, to address his issues with the NFL players who peacefully protested the National Anthem in a united front by kneeling. Coaches and players lined the field with arms linked together while other teams refused to leave the locker room, sparking a national debate. But, it seems no one was more appalled than President Trump himself. At a recent conference, he took the time to bash the NFL and called for players to be fired from their teams saying “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say ‘get that son of a b**** off the field right now- he’s fired,”  Later he released a storm of tweets against the NFL and urged fans to protest the games. 

The peaceful protest first sparked controversy when former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began sitting and eventually kneeling during the anthem. He stated “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” adding “to me this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder” (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-protest-of-national-anthem). Kaepernick has made it clear that he against the treatment of people of color in America and decided he should take a stand- or rather a knee.

In the midst of his tweet storms, name calling and conferences it seemed Trump  had forgotten about something rather important- our fellow countrymen in Puerto Rico were just ravaged by a category 4 hurricane that has completely wiped out power and left many homeless. Where were the tweets of outrage and support when fellow AMERICANS were suffering under horrible conditions without food, water and supplies. It appears that they were just not as important than the NFL. Although, since the hurricane, Trump has tweeted (again) several messages attacking San Juan’s governor over her statements about Trump not helping Puerto Rico. Seriously?! In their time of dire need, that is that last thing that should be done. 

Puerto Rico is expected to be without power for months but fortunately, celebrities like Jennifer Lopez, Alex Rodriguez, Cardi B, Fat Joe and many more have donated planes and supplies to the country in order to bring hope and spread love from the states. Hopefully our President will take a page from their book and follow suit.

I am a Junior Theatre Studies major with a concentration in Production at Kent State University hoping to become a costume designer, writer, director and stage actor.
Corinne Zielinski

Kent State '18

.