jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Pros and Cons of Dating Someone Older

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

With Kylie Jenner’s relationship with Tyga now out in the open, the debate is on; is it really okay to date someone older?

In college, you are no longer surrounded by just your peers. There are students in their teens, 20s, and even older. Once you hit your 20s, the age gap begins to close. You can be a sophomore in college at 20 years old, and date a senior who is 26. This age gap sounds extremely different than a 17-year-old dating a 23-year-old. Both of these couples are 6 years apart, so why is one more accepted than the other? Let’s discuss some of the pros and cons of dating someone older: 

Pros: 

1. He/she having been your age before, can help you get through difficult times, because he/she has been in your position.

2. He/she may be more mature than other people your age; petty squabbles and jealousy could become a thing of the past. 

3. He/she may have more experience dating and therefore treat you with more respect than those your age. 

4. He/she may be more financially secure than the eligible bachelors/bachelorettes your age.

Jay-Z and Beyonce are 12 years apart!

Cons: 

1. Due to his/her age, and maturity level, he/she may not get along with your friends, or be interested in the same things; let’s face it, he/she turned 21, 5 years ago, you’re turning 21 this year.

2. He/she may feel insecure when compared to younger eligble people. 

3. He/she may have more baggage, such as a long term ex, or a child from a previous relationship.

4. He/she may seem like they’re condescending through constant advice coming from an older perspective. He/she may begin to seem more like a parent figure than a boyfriend/girlfriend. 

So the verdict is out, do the cons outweigh the pros of dating a mature, romantic man/woman? The heart wants what it wants. Let us know what you think; Tweet us your opinion @HCKentState!

Y K

Kent State

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.