This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

On Tuesday March 12th, 2019 the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals officially ruled that Ohio can cut state funding to Planned Parenthood. This all comes from the constant backlash Planned Parenthood receives due to abortions being done at their clinics. But did you know only three out of more than 25 Planned Parenthood’s in Ohio complete abortions. So what will cutting state funding effect?

Much of the public funding Planned Parenthood received went to cancer screenings for breast cancer and cervical cancer, sex education, testing for STD’s and sexual violence. None of the public’s money was going to abortions, much to the publics thoughts. Due to federal law, federal funding can’t go towards abortions unless in cases of rape, incest or when the mother’s life is at risk.

So what does defunding Planned Parenthood really mean? Patients using public health care programs like Medicaid and Title X will be blocked from receiving care at their local Planned Parenthood. More than half of Planned Parenthood users depend on public health care programs.

So in reality cutting state funding is just going to leave women with little access to a safe and secure place to receive care. This is also causing Planned Parenthood to have to up their prices on many services offered as well as pricing for birth control. Something that is already too expensive. Planned Parenthood is a place many women who lack health care tend to visit frequently due to their lower prices for services, so upping the prices is affecting many without much insurance. 

It’s important to note that Ohio has a high rate of infant mortality rates among African-American’s as well as high rates of sexually transmitted infections.

Planned Parenthood’s President Leana Wen said the recent ruling will “roll back the gains to public health — harming women’s health, children’s health and the health of families across Ohio.”  

My form of birth control for the past 3 years was an IUD, what I wasn’t informed of by my local family practitioner was that 14 out of 100 women with my form of IUD can develop cysts. In February after an ultrasound it was found that I had a 3 cm cyst on my left ovary. Ohio needs places like Planned Parenthood that is filled with doctors who specialize in women’s bodies so women like me aren’t misinformed and are receiving all the basic information regarding birth control and other services.

Natalie Snow a junior at The University of Akron, and someone who has used Planned Parenthood’s services for 3 years now is facing the effects of Planned Parenthood being defunded.

“I walked into Planned Parenthood when I was 18. Not only did I not have health insurance, but I also had little to no knowledge about reproductive health due to public education failing me. I was petrified that I was going to be judged for being an 18-year-old young woman seeking reproductive services whilst not having insurance. I felt irresponsible and unworthy of affordable health care because I was a broke freshman in college.”

“Instead, the lovely receptionist helped me calculate my household income and come up with a sliding scale fee. I was eligible for 75% off of my birth control, making it only $12 a month. 12 dollars a month for lighter, more manageable periods with less painful cramps. 12 dollars a month to lessen the severity of my acne, low iron, and premenstrual syndrome. 12 dollars a month to not get pregnant if I decided I was ready to have sex.”

Natalie has now been using Planned Parenthood’s services for 3 years and the cutting of funding is affecting her monthly birth control price.

“Fast forward to now. Three years later. I am an angry woman. The government has put politics before the health of women and children. This is about much more than abortions, and if you don’t care, you are not paying attention. This is an attack on women’s health and is taking away affordable healthcare for thousands and thousands of people. My birth control will no longer have a sliding scale and will be $50 a month, costing me around $600 a year. I have been blessed enough to be in a workplace in which I can afford this. I will be okay. But so many women will not. Planned Parenthood is not only abortions. Planned Parenthood is birth control, HIV testing, LGBTQ services, Men’s health care, prenatal care, vaccines, and more!”

Natalie went on to leave this as one last message to the readers.

“I could rant about the fact that only two locations in Ohio give abortions and the fact that those locations do not use government funding to provide said abortions, but instead I will leave with a different message. Education is key. Listen to your friends with different religious and political views. Do your research on the services Planned Parenthood tries to provide at affordable costs. Read the stories of patients personal experiences at their Planned Parenthood location. Call your senators and inform them on the fact that the larger agenda of making abortions less accessible, is actually just making SAFE and LEGAL abortions less accessible. Learn more and take action.”

Visit: https://www.istandwithpp.org/defund-defined for more information on defunding Planned Parenthood and its effects.

A sophomore at Kent State University majoring in journalism with a minor in fashion media. I love to workout and hang out with friends and hike! I love reading and writing about fashion, health, and relationships and how to balance your life in college.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.