Obsessing over Gold Dust salon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Finally, the most perfect salon has been found! Local to Kent, Ohio, Gold Dust Salon is located right on Main Street in Suite #10 on the second level… just above Fig Leaf for those who are familiar. An unconventional salon for sure, the independently owned business will have you in awe after your first appointment. This little tucked away salon is absolutely a hidden gem and proud owner, Amber Furbee, is the master behind it all!

If you have ever wanted rainbow colored hair… this is the place to go! She is one of the few salons where you can get these kind of hair color treatments. Her super reasonable price, especially for us college students, make her services even more desirable. I personally have been going to Gold Dust Salon myself since January, and couldn’t be happier with my results every single time I go. The oh so talented, 26-year-old owner, Amber, graduated from Regency Beauty Institute in North Canton with a degree in cosmetology for arts and sciences and has owned the salon for about a year. She previously worked and booth rented at the same salon for a year before she decided to become the new owner, keeping its name of Gold Dust Salon.

With my most recent visit to Amber, she had told me, “I decided to own the salon because I have always wanted to work for myself. I also am very passionate and believe hair is an art form involving a world of creativity. I didn’t think anyone should be in control of that personal form of art for me and be able to limit my craft and ability in what I love doing.” 

If you visit her website, which is linked to her Instagram account (@ambercolorshair… yes, please follow her!), you will see in her bio that her salon services offer clients her undivided attention, unlike most salons. She exclusively books appointments one on one, so you will never be forgotten about in the shampoo bowl or under the hair dryer as she so jokes about in her bio as well. Upon entering Gold Dust Salon, you will also notice how it is an alternative to the traditional looking space of a salon. It is informal and looks more like a tattoo shop, where Amber’s personal style comes into play and is nothing but unique. It is a rather smaller space than what most may be used to, but Amber likes her clients’ experience to be comfortable and make them feel at home.

As mentioned above, this is one of the few salons that offer vivid hair color treatments, but if purple hair wasn’t what you were thinking, don’t worry! As far as blondes, brunettes, redheads, balayages, ombres, etc. go…Amber does it all! All that is needed, is to book a consultation with her and see what the two of you will come up with!

I highly suggest checking her out on her Instagram, as mentioned above, and checking out her website as well. As you can see, not only is Amber highly professional and talented in her craft, but she is personable and realistic. She will never tell you something looks good when it doesn’t or that something is fine for your hair when in fact it is damaging. She is not a money hustler and genuinely cares about her clients and will tell them what is best. I know this personally because Amber has not only been my own hair stylist for the past 9 months, but has transformed into a friend of mine for the short amount of time I have been going to her. Amber’s first year owning the salon has gone great for her due to her hard work and willingness to go above and beyond. In the future at some point she plans to expand her salon, staying local to the area, still keeping that comfortable feel with her own personal twist that is signature to her.

I am proud to be a student at Kent State University and a  member of Alpha Xi Delta. I am majoring in Fashion Merchandising and minoring in Fashion Media with lots of studying abroad plans. I love being adventurous and doing/trying as many things as I can. Wishes and dreams to travel every part of the world possible and I am so unbelievably passionate about the world of fashion and photogrpahy. Catch me at the gym or doing what I love (anything fashion!).
Corinne Zielinski

Kent State '18

.