Non-Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Getting together and cooking for Thanksgiving dinner has to be one of my favorite activities to do with my family over Thanksgiving break. We always make the same dinner, which has become a tradition, but I have always thought it’d be fun to try something new. Feeling festive, I decided to look into some fun and non-traditional to try with my family and friends. 

The first recipe I came across was for a French Mushroom Quiche. This one will definitely only be for those who enjoy the taste of mushrooms.

The ingredients are limited and very simple to shop for. You’ll need:

• 1 pre-made pie crust
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup whipping cream (half and half, or whole milk, can be easily substituted)
  • 3 strips of bacon (optional), cut into 1/4 inch strips 
  • 8 oz mushrooms 
  • Thyme
  • Salt, pepper

First you’ll need to lay the pie crust in a lightly greased pan. Then cut the bacon into 1/4 inch strips and cook them until it’s crispy. Sauté the mushroom with salt, pepper, and thyme. The next step is to mix the eggs with the cream while adding more salt and pepper. Once that is done, add the bacon to the pan with the crust, then the mushrooms, then the egg mixture. After that, place it in the oven for 25 minutes!

The next recipe I found was called Pumpkin Spice Tacos.

For this recipe you will need:

• 1 sugar pie pumpkin
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 1 chipotle chili in adobo (canned), plus 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce
  • 1 clove garlic
  • kosher salt, to taste
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 12 corn tortillas, warmed
  • 2 avocados, sliced into wedges
  • 1/2 cup roasted, shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
  • 2 limes, cut into wedges
  • coarse sea salt, to taste

This list of ingredients is lengthier, but from what the website describes, it sounds like a delicious dish that’s fun to make. 

To start, you will have to microwave the pumpkin, peel it and remove the seeds. With one half, you’ll cut 1 inch cubes of pumpkin. Save the other half! Preheat the oven to 450, and while it’s heating up put the pumpkin pieces on a baking sheet and add the oil, honey, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom. That will take about 20 minutes in the oven. Making the chipotle sauce is simple. You need to mix the yogurt, chipotle, adobo sauce, garlic and a pinch of salt in a blender. For the finishing touches, check out the recipe here!

Another recipe I found interesting was the one for Tuscan Sweet Potato Fries.

The ingredients include:

• 3 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 ½ quarts olive oil
  • 1 head of garlic, separated into cloves (unpeeled)
  • Handful each rosemary, sage and thyme sprigs
  • Smoked sea salt, kosher or sea salt

To start this dish, start cutting the sweet potatoes! Place the cut sweet potatoes in a pot with oil and boil it for 15 minutes. Add the garlic after the 15 minutes are up and stir it around for about another 7 minutes. Towards the end, add the herbs and once they’re done lay the fries out on a pan and add the salt.

Who doesn’t love dinner rolls on the table during the holidays? This recipe for Easy No Knead Cheddar Rolls are sure to please the whole family.

What you need: 

• 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbls sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 Tbls butter
  • 1¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten

It starts off simply by mixing flour, sugar, salt and yeast and eventually adding the milk and butter. Once you break the dough into 12 to 15 balls you can place them in the over set at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes!

Last but not least, Skillet Cinnamon Apples sound like the best way to end the feast.

The list of ingredients include:

• 2 large apples
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • splash of lemon juice
  • 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • dash of nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water

To make these you will need a skillet, but this makes the list of instructions so much shorter. You melt butter on the skillet, place the apples on there for 10 minutes, and add the spices. Cornstarch is added shortly after that and you stir until the apples are crisp! To read more about using a skillet and making this recipe check out this link here.

Hopefully these 5 recipes helped inspire you to try to bake something new this Thanksgiving, or maybe you could try this with your friends before the big meal with your families. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving while trying out some new dishes!

Junior at Kent State University Fashion Merchandising major with a Fashion Media minor I've been writing for Her Campus for about a year now!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.