This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I’m sure we have all heard the saying, “new year, new me.” As cheesy as this saying may be, it really does apply to me. As sad as it is that 2023 is coming to a close, I am so excited to start off 2024. Beginning a new year always feels so refreshing to me since I am able to start off on a completely clean slate. New Years Resolutions are something that is common for many, including myself. I love the idea of goal setting and working towards those goals. I had many goals for 2023 that I did accomplish, and I have even more for 2024. So let’s take a look at just some of the many aspirations I have for this upcoming year!

1. get a tattoo

Tattoos. This is something that I have always thought about, but never put into action. My sister is someone in my family who has quite a bit of tattoos, and all of them look amazing on her. While I do think I would look good with tattoos as well, I have always been hesitant about getting one. Honestly, the main reason why I have been so uncertain about getting one is because I want to choose a design that is meaningful to me. After much thinking this year, though, I have a few designs that I would be interested in getting in 2024. As of right now, getting a tattoo is one of my biggest goals for this next year!

2. go to the gym more

One of my main goals for 2023 was to go to the gym more, and I have that same goal for 2024. While I did go to the gym a lot this year, I want to go to the gym even more this next year. Going to the gym is an activity that really puts my mind at ease and makes me feel good overall, both physically and mentally. I will say that one of my least favorite workouts to do is workouts with my core, so next year another goal I have for myself is to work on and get stronger in my core. I bought a gym membership early this year, and I plan to keep that same gym membership, so I will definitely be going to the gym frequently.

3. learn to say “no”

This may seem like a super odd goal to have for oneself, but for 2024 I want to learn to say “no” more to people. Throughout my whole life being a people pleaser is always something that I have been, however it is not always the best thing. I want to learn to be able to be honest with myself and say “no” when I need, even if it may not be the most convenient thing for the other person to hear. Believe it or not, being able to say “no” for when it is convenient for you is most definitely a form of self-love and needs to be normalized more. Put yourself and your needs before anything else.

4. journaling

Journaling is something that I absolutely love the idea of, but never actually did it. I have always been the type of person to just write down my thoughts in my notes app on my phone, but not on a sheet of paper. My plan for 2024 is to purchase a journal and start capturing important moments in my life throughout the year. My favorite kinds of journaling is photo journaling where people compile different photos and/or quotes to represent a time in their life. I have a lot of friends who journal on the daily, and I have heard nothing but good things about it. I also know that Target sells a self-care journal, which I also think would be something that would be really beneficial to have in my life. 2024 is going to be the year of self-care and self-love.

5. find some good reads

As mentioned in a previous article of mine, I am not a big reader at all. My mom and sister have always been huge readers, and I was the odd one out. While I have found a few books that I thought were very well written, a goal I want to accomplish in 2024 is to find some more good books and actually read and finish them. Usually I will find a book, only read a couple pages in and completely forget about the book. I know there are a lot of classics that my mom has recommended I read, such as “The Kite Runner”, so I hope to get to reading some of those. Who knows, maybe 2024 will turn me into a book girly.

6. get a new piercing

Something that I did in 2023 is that I managed to get three piercings. I got my first helix piercing, a belly button piercing, and a nose piercing. While I do have eleven piercings in total now, there are a couple more that I hope to get. I really want to get a double helix, mainly because I liked my first helix piercing so much, and I also want to get a fifth piercing going up my ear. To be honest, I just really like the look of piercings on me and hope to bedazzle my ears some more!

7. cook some yummy meals

Now, this may seem like a stretch, but for 2024 I really want to learn to cook some appetizing dishes. My family owns a bakery, so baking is 100% in my blood, but I have never really been the best cook. Of course I can make basic meals like mac and cheese and spaghetti, but I plan to “broaden my menu”.I see so many delicious recipes on TikTok, Instagram and Youtube that I know I can make if I really work towards it, so why not give it a try? I could be the next Gordon Ramsay…I guess you’ll just have to wait and see.

8. learn to do my own nails

One thing about me is that I absolutely love getting my nails done. I’m not going to lie, it is very therapeutic for me. Something that is true about getting my nails done, though, is that it can get very pricey. I have attempted to learn to do my nails in the past, but it really did not go well. The tools I had were not the best, and everything was pretty low quality. I think with the right tools and patience I can make my nails look great, but it is going to take some practice for sure. My mom recently bought everything needed to do nails, and she is actually really good at doing them, so I plan to learn from her and hopefully become a pro in doing my nails. I’m excited to try it out!

I know the holidays and a new year can be a scary time for many, but try to take this new year and make it your own. Whether that’s watching a new TV series, or getting yourself on a healthy sleep schedule, any goal you set for yourself is important. The new year is for growth and change. Learn, grow, and become the best version of yourself you can possibly be. You got this! Now go have an amazing 2024!

Drew Berkshire

Kent State '26

Drew Berkshire is a communication studies major at Kent State University with a minor in public relations and theater performance. In her free time she enjoys performing, watching reality TV, shopping and drinking coffee!!