This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Staying creative is something that I think is really important to do in this quarantine time of our lives. Trying new things and doing things that are just for fun and just for you is so essential for your mental health. But, staying creative isn’t always the easiest thing to do. Here’s my top five ways of finding my creative side again and getting inspired.

Get outside

This is my number one reason to get out of your creative rut for a reason. Getting outside and, essentially just getting out of the space where you usually create, is essential to getting into a better headspace. You breathe in the fresh air, remember how big the world around you is, and it all can help you get a new perspective.

Learn something new/try a new style

If there’s always something you’ve wanted to try to create, but never thought you could, go for it. Try a new style of art, a different way of writing, different lighting, etc. It might inspire you to make it your own or even teach you that you’re cable of more.

Clean your surrounds/adjust them

Having a cluttered creative space or living space leads to a cluttered mind. It can distract you and keep you from focusing on what you’re creating. In addition to clearing your mind, it helps you feel accomplished.

Log into Pinterest

Log into either Pinterest or another site that’s full of creative or aesthetically pleasing images is one of my favorite things to do to get me inspired. I see the combinations of colors other people are using, the styles they’re creating in, etc all help me think some thing new to creative. It also is a good place to look if you want to try a new style!

Return to something you used to love

Take a little break and watch one of your favorite movies from high school or do something nostalgic. Remember the person you used to be and how much you’ve grown since then. Think of the creative advances you’ve made and improved and be thankful. Maybe it’ll re-inspire an old style you used to create in, or of nothing else it will make you smile and give you a break.

I hope these methods inspire you and help you to create amazing things. Go get yourself an iced coffee and get creating!

Kayla Tyler

Kent State '21

My name is Kayla Tyler and I'm currently studying Managerial Marketing at Kent State University. In addition to serving as a HerCampus writer for the Kent State Chapter I work for Red Bull, and I'm the Apparel Chairwoman for my sorority Phi Mu. I decided to write for HerCampus thanks to my background in attending an all girls high school; it was there where my passion for the female empowerment movement first began. I account that institution and those girls to the woman that I am today. My interests of topic might range from fashion to mental health issues, but the overarching theme is always to have women help other women.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.