mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

My Favorite Signs from the 2019 Women’s March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

On January 19, people all over America took to the streets for the 2019 Women’s March. People used their creativity to express their upset. Signs of all shapes and sizes were seen all over spewing words of love and upset. The signs consist of sayings supporting Pro-Choice, anger toward the government shutdown, equal rights and all around feminism. Here are some of my favorite signs:

1. “Today I march, in 9 years I vote”

Lil Spoon on Twitter or @mendeadinside tweeted this picture of a young protester already declaring their future vote! 

2.  “If D*nald Tr*mp is so rich, why haven’t we seen him in Airpods?”

Leen or @passionfruitmp3 on Twitter posted this photo as one of their favorite signs from the #WomensMarch. I don’t know about you, but I love the Airpod meme and this just makes it 10x better. Also, why does that lady to the right of the sign look like Carrie Fisher (R.I.P) A.K.A Princess Leia??? The Resistance is with us, am I right? 

3. “I’m so F*ckin Grateful for my ex…Barack Hussein Obama, that is…”

This was another favorite from Twitter user @passionfruitmp3. Who doesn’t love an Ariana Grande reference? Ariana has sure inspired many people with her recent top hits “Thank u, Next” and “7 Rings.” 

4.  “SuperCallousFragileRacistSexistNaziPotus” 

Lisa Stein or @lds10128 on Twitter posted this picture of a marcher with their sign spoofing Mary Poppin’s “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” with a pretty amazing cartoon of Trump as a very round baby. 

5.  “Support your sisters not just your cis-ters”

Eliza Fu or @xinyan_fu on Twitter posted this photo of Meghna Vasiraju of Westford Acadamy showing her support for transgender women everywhere. 

6.  “I am a goddess. A glorious female warrior.”

Shannon or @shannonwelby on Twitter posted this marcher with an amazing Parks and Rec inspired sign reminding that we are all glorious female warriors!

7.  “Every tweet you make, every tan you fake, every law you break, I’ll be watching you”

Maddie or @madelyngcole on Twitter posted this photo of a young marcher spoofing “Every Breath You Take” by The Police while roasting the president’s TERRIBLE fake tan. #Iconic

8. “Less toxic masculinity more Toxic by Britney Spears”

Amb.urt or @urtamb on Twitter posted this photo along with three others from the 2019 Women’s March. I mean this marcher isn’t wrong we all could use more Britney in our lives. 

9. “Boys will be boys feminists”

Singer-Songwriter Grant Landis or @grantladis on Twitter posted this picture of himself with his sign at the Women’s March. We need more Grants in this world, am I right ladies?

10. “You like my rights? Gee thanks, I want them”

@deluxerings on Twitter posted this sign spoofing yet another Ariana Grande lyric. This sign is taking from Ari’s newest hit “7 Rings” with the original lyrics being “You like my hair? Gee, thanks, just bought it” This sign was also included in a collage of Ariana inspired signs from the march that Ari tweeted out herself. Pretty iconic if I do say so myself. 

Those were my top 10 favorite signs from the 2019 Women’s March and while some of the signs were funny or cute they all were put out there to help get a point across. And that point needs to be taken seriously. And as the Women’s March website puts it, “The #WomensWave is coming, and we’re sweeping the world forward with us.”

Jess Goodwin is a  senior at Kent State University, where she is the Senior Editor for the Her Campus Kent State chapter! She is a Journalism major who has enjoyed writing and telling stories her whole life. When she is not writing, Jess is dancing and choreographing. She has been dancing for over 15 years and choreographing for just about 3 years now! She has a passion for movies, books and entertainment, but she also has a love for activism and promoting love! Jess's socials are: Instagram: @jess.goodwin Twitter: @jessgoodwin13 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.