Life > Experiences

My Favorite Place and Why Everyone Should Find a Place That Feels Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

About two years ago, I found a place that I will never forget. About thirty minutes away from my home is a hill overlooking Lake Erie. It has the most beautiful view of the sky and creates the most breathtaking sunsets I have ever seen. Ever since that day two years ago, I have tried to spend as many sunsets there as I possibly could. I can’t exactly describe the feeling I get when I’m there. It is something close to the feeling of being at peace but on steroids.

As I have gotten older I realized that I’m most content when I am by myself. I love hanging out with people, but I just really love the feeling of being alone. I love sitting at that place alone just watching the waves. I think it is important to have a place like this. I know that no matter what happens I can always return there and I will feel okay. I’m not sure exactly why, but my problems always seem so small and miniscule when I’m there. 

It’s a great place to sit and think but it is also a great place to cry. I’m not going to lie, I have probably cried there more times than I can count. As much as I hate to admit it, I can be a very emotional person. One thing I’ve found is that if you need a good cry, it’s best to make an event out of it. Something about crying in a place that you love makes you feel a bit better about the whole situation. I couldn’t tell you why, but trust me it really works. 

Something else that I’ve realized over the years is to always protect this place and to cherish it. I used to bring my friends to this place because I wanted to share it with them. But honestly I’d rather keep it to myself. I made the mistake of taking someone who I had a relationship with there, and now that we don’t speak anymore I sometimes feel like it ruined things a little bit. So now I try to keep it to myself because I don’t want anything to ruin how special it is to me. I hope one day you all can find a place like this because it truly has helped me get through some tough times. Through the good and the bad, it has always grounded me and I think it is so important for people to have a place like this.

Emma Elliot

Kent State '25

My name is Emma Elliot. Im a freshman majoring in fashion merchandising. Im excited to share my experiences with you all, hopefully you can avoid the same mistakes I've made. I hope my pieces help you look on the brighter side of life.