alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Motivational Books Everyone Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It’s cold, and it’s February. New Year’s resolutions are fading, and it’s easy to feel like you’re in a end of winter slump. I have never considered myself a huge book worm, but books like these make me want to jump right in. Reading about someone’s real life experience – an individual’s journey to happiness – is extremely inspiring. Reading any of these books will motivate you to pop out of your slump and be the amazing, independent person that you are! 

1. I Am That Girl: How To Speak Your Truth, Discover Your Purpose, and #bethatgirl by Alexis Jones 

Many of the reviews and comments say that there is nothing better than a cheesy self help book. The author, Alexis Jones, has helped women around the world by asking them intriguing questions that inspire them to find themselves. She also encourages girls to accept themselves as they are. It is so important that we have authors that are willing to encourage girls, and support who they are as individuals. 

2. Get Your Sh*t Together by Sarah Knight 

This book is simply surrounded by the fact that we should pull ourselves together and actually do something with our lives. I recently bought this book, and after reading about the author I can’t wait to start it. Sometimes as a college student it’s easy to get into the habit of taking daily naps or just laying about watching Netflix. A book like this is great for when you’re feeling like you’re in a slump and need that extra boost of confidence and motivation.

3. Year of Yes: How to Dance it Out, Stand in the Sun and Be your Own Person by Shonda Williams 

This book is actually written by the creator of Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal. The book is about how saying yes has changed her life for the better. Obviously this women has achieved so much in her life. This book illustrates struggles people can relate to and how to embrace them in order to become the best versions of ourself.

4. Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

While searching the Internet, I came across this lovely book. It is a New York Times bestseller that looks intriguing. It is a memoir that shares a struggle with depression and internal struggle. Then, in a comedic way, it shows how you can shift to a life filled with happiness. I think that almost anyone can relate to this topic. It’s easy to get down in everyday life, and learning how to cope with that and focus on the positive is something everyone can work on.

Emily Wiegand is a junior early childhood education major with a special education minor at Kent State University. She is from Amherst, Ohio and loves to spend her extra time drinking iced coffee, or eating gummy worms. She enjoys listening to her favorite podcasts, journaling under a fuzzy blanket, and planning her whole week in her planner. She is looking forward to pursuing her love for writing on Her Campus. In the future, Emily wants to be a 1st grade teacher and she wants to leave her mark on the world by inspiring those around her.          
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.