Modista’s MODIvation conference is this Saturday March 17th, 2018. As an influential organization on campus, Modista’s goal is “to unite all individuals with a shared interest in fashion and professional development to celebrate diversity within the fashion industry.” This year’s Modista MODIvation conference has the goal of bringing “together a diverse group of fashion industry professionals to share their unique journey”. Last year’s conference was an amazing success and they were able to bring together industry professionals such as The Fashion School’s own director, J.R. Campbell to Project Runway All Star’s Helen Castillo.
For the upcoming coference, Modista has been able to build a panel that will allow students to hear from all aspects of the fashion industry. The conference is divided up into an hour long Q&A session after which attendees will have the opportunity to attend different sessions (there will be three speakers in each session)! This is amazing oppoutunity to allow oneself to learn more about the careers offered in the fashion industry and what it takes to get there. All guests will be able to network and interact with the guest speakers at a mixer. As Modista says, “Our goal is to show how the fashion industry offers multitudes of career destinations and employment options for someone loves fashion and wants to pursue a career in this dynamic industry. Fashion is a lifestyle that permeates many industry segments from apparel to accessories to home fashion and beauty and wellness.”
The guests this year will include the likes of:
- Connie Marsh a well-loved professor at The Fashion School. Connie teaches a variety of different classes at Kent with a focus on fashion forecasting. She has perviosuly worked for DOTS as a trend forecaster and was able to travel around the world to various fashion weeks, finding new and upcoming trends globally. When she’s not watching Hamilton you can find Connie teaching yoga at One Love Yoga in Downtown Kent.
- Andrew Gelwicks is a stylists to stars such as Gigi Gorgeous and Chloe Lukasiak. His work has been featured in publications such as Women’s Wear Daily and Harper’s Bazaar.
- Janae Green is the current manager of Integrated Marketing & Special Projects at Marie Claire and is also the founder of ourCUSP.com, a “passion project that she created to highlight and propel diversity in the fashion industry”.
- Audree Lopez is a fashion stylist based out of New York City, an industry consultant and also a freelance fashion editor for Stylecaster.com. Audree also runs her own fashion and lifestyle blog, Simply Audree Kate.
- Sean Bilovecky and Gwyn Strang are the duo behind The Pattern Makers & Garment Makers. The Pattern Makers & Garment Makers can help with every step along the way to create a garment, from the initial concept all the way to small and large scale productions.
- Jaslene Gonzalez is the winner of cycle 8 of “America’s Next Top Model.” Jaslene has been in publications such as VOGUE India, ELLE Magazine, and Marie Claire. A part from modeling, Jaslene has now focused on her acting career, having appeared in a production of “The King and I” in Chicago and is set to appear in the upcoming film, “Death Wish.”
Modista’s objective for this conference is to motivate students, strengthen alumni relationships and develop new skills. They hope all fashion lovers that attend leave with a fulfilling experience, connections and networking opportunities for life.
The Modista MODIvation Conference will begin at 9:15 a.m. when the doors open and run all the way until approximately 9:00 p.m. Lunch will be provided for all who are attending. Tickets can be purchased online, just following this LINK!