Michael Gallagher: Campus Comedian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Meet Michael Gallagher, a funny freshman starting his comedy career in Kent. 

Major: Digital media production

Minor: Writing

Age: 19

Hometown: Lake Zurich, Illinois  

Her Campus: When did you start doing stand-up comedy?

Michael Gallagher: I started doing stand-up the first semester of freshman year, so just a couple months ago.

Her Campus: Where do you do most of your shows?

MG: I go to Stone Tavern and EuroGyro in Kent. I also have a show coming up in my residence hall, Clark Hall, on April 5th.

Photo by Shengyu Li 

Her Campus: What’s the hardest part of stand-up?

MG: The hardest part is trying to figure out what to talk about. I talk about me a lot, and I’m okay with that. I start talking about my body, or lack of love. Where I go from there is usually improv.

Her Campus: Have you ever told a joke and had no one laugh?

MG: Of course, it happens for everybody. It helps you though. I try to keep going, but sometimes I take a week or two off to figure out what I can do better. If you take a break it refreshes your material.

Her Campus: Which comedians do you idolize?

MG: I look up to Joan Rivers. I like what she did in her comedy. She really didn’t care what people thought of her, and her work ethic is something I strive for.

Her Campus: So you’re also involved with TV2 at Kent State?

MG: Yes! I write and act on the sketch comedy show Role Call and I do floor crew, and just be myself on KSUniverse.

Photo by Shengyu Li 

Her Campus:  Can you tell me a joke?

MG: A young handsome student lives on my floor and I saw him coming out of the shower… His pecs were literally bigger than my future. No joke I just wanted to lay on them and just journal away the day.

Follow Michael on social media:

Twitter:@NextHughHefner

Instagram: @michaeljgallagher2

Erin Keller

Kent State

broadcast journalism x fashion media 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.