This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Unfortunately, it’s that time of year again, and by unfortunate, I mean when the outside world starts to turn into a tundra. However, there are many great things about the transition from summer to fall. Today I am going to show you one of them – makeup! One of my favorite things about seasons is the fluctuating beauty and fashion trends. Fall has to be the best time of year for them, at least in my opinion.

I know the colder it gets, the less motivation you have to get up and get ready for class, but this makeup look will make getting ready fun, I promise! Fall makeup looks go from light, shimmering shades of eyeshadows to deep, vampy smoky eyes. For the look I created I veered away from the traditional smoky eye (because I know some of you are afraid to look like raccoons) and did what is called a halo eye.  A halo eye is where you place and blend the darker shadows in the outer corner of your eye (outer V) and the inner corner of your eye, closest to the tear duct. The halo effect is created by placing a shimmer or glitter shadow in the center of your lid as you can see in the look I created and described below. 

The palette that I used to achieve this look was the Anastasia Beverley Hills Modern Renaissance. This palette is my holy grail and retails for $42 on Ulta’s website. This palette is definitely worth your money. It includes everything from shimmers to gorgeous reds and oranges, and then shades to create a neutral everyday look.

To begin you are going to want to prime your eyes. Primer keeps eyeshadow looking amazing all day and helps stop it from creasing. The eye shadow primer I currently love is Wet n Wild Photo Focus eye primer. This retails for $5 at your local drugstore and works just as well as the leading brand’s primer! After your eyes are primed, make sure to set your eyes with any light white or skin tone eye shadow shade you have, but I used Tempera from the ABH Modern Renaissance. Next you apply a transition color in the crease, this is going to help with future blending you will be doing. The shade I took from the palette was Golden Ocher which is a light taupe brown.

Once you have that blended out we are going to start with the darker shades. Now, this may seem scary at first, but the key is to blend, blend, blend! We’re going to dip into Red Ochre and place it into the inner and outer portions of our eyes. This part is entirely up to your preference, but you can add as little or as much color as you want/like. This shade is going to begin to give you that falling leaves color everyone loves during the fall. After you build that shade up to your desired color and blend it out so it has no harsh lines, we are going to add in Venetian Red, again to the inner and outer corners. This shade of red is really going to intensify the look. Again, add as much or as little as you want, makeup is all about what you’re comfortable and happy with!

Once you have that blended out, the fun part comes, because everyone loves sparkle! You’re going to take your finger and dip into Vermeer. Using your finger makes the shade truly pop, getting the most out of the pigmentation, this is true with any shimmer shade.  We are going to pop that shade in the center of our lid and build it up to match your preference. Don’t forget to build out the red around the shimmer! If you don’t you’ll be left with harsh lines. This part is optional, but I added a winged liner. The product I used is a gel liner by Tarte. I believe using gel liner with an angled eyeliner brush is a lot easier than using a felt tip liquid liner.

If you don’t own the Modern Renaissance, you can use the shades you already own in your collection! Apart from this palette, there are two others that I think are perfect for this time of the year! That is the Jaclyn Hill palette with Morphe and the Morphe 350 or the new 3502. The Jaclyn Hill retails for $38 and the other Morphe palettes are $23. 

Moving on to the face! I recommended using whatever foundation and concealer you have that works for your skin. If you’re on the market for a new inexpensive foundation I suggest the Wet N Wild Photo Focus. After you complete your foundation, move on to bronzer. My current favorite is Too Faced Chocolate Soleil. I like this product because it is matte and works for my skin tone.  Blush is my next step, for this look you are going to want to use a very natural shade, no peach tones or anything bright pink! The highlight shade I recommend is a golden shade to match the shade on the center of our lid. You can use the shade Vermeer to highlight or use a different gold you have. A tip I have is whatever highlight shade you use, make sure to use that shade to highlight your brow bone (the space below your eyebrow) and in your tear duct.

My favorite part of this look is the lip color, you can have fun with this or you can keep it simple like I did. The shade I used is called Ashton from Anastasia Beverly Hills.  Other great nude shades can be found on https://colourpop.com/ for $5 to $6. If you want to have some fun you can pair this look with a red shade similar to the shades we used on the eyes!

I hope I helped all you ladies achieve a new look for the fall! I also hope my tips helped you out with understanding the beauty world a bit more!

Shelby Rabideaux is currently attending Kent State University. She is majoring in Digital Media Production and will have a minor in Fashion Media. Her love for entertainment and film came from actively going to concerts. She currently is on a TV show called The Blurb that focuses on entertainment news that her school produces. She dreams to be able to inspire others like how she was inspired. Shelby is currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kent State and the President where she strives to share her love for Her Camps with the Kent community. 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.