Looking for a Vacation Spot? Consider Sacramento, CA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

I recently went on a short, four day business trip to California. Although I flew into Sacramento, most of my time was spent in a much smaller town called Lodi. However, I did spend a day in Midtown, Sacramento, and it was one of the cutest towns I have ever been to. Honestly, if I didn’t have prior commitments in Ohio (a boyfriend, school, a house, a dog, my job, etc.), I would wholeheartedly debate moving into an apartment in Midtown. The atmosphere was just so me

What I Liked

All of the houses in Midtown had so much character. The shapes, colors and details all had my eyes wide in awe as I drove through the streets. Midtown is packed full of townhouses side by side, tall apartment complexes and the cutest little businesses and restaurants. I think that going to Midtown (or anywhere in Sacramento) for a fun vacation is a great idea if you are looking for something unique to do. Another thing in Midtown that I noticed, and loved, was all of the murals on the sides of buildings. Every turn I took, there was a new mural with pops of color and gorgeous illustrations. 

Things to do

Here are a couple things that I did during my time in Midtown as well as popular things to do that I have read about.

Float Spa

While I was driving around town, I noticed a float spa called Saha Float Spa. Five minutes later, I was parked and booking an appointment online. Tiktok has shown me the benefits of floating as well as how it works, but my small Ohio town has nothing like that near me. If you are not familiar with floating, there is basically a bath of body temperature water that is very soluble for your body to float in, and you float in the water for a set amount of time. Floating is said to have many benefits such as relaxing your body and clearing out your head. The spa that I went to was full of positive energy that automatically made me feel happy to be there, and my float experience only amplified that happiness. During the float, I felt relaxed and at ease; it was very therapeutic. Afterwards, I continued to feel this way with a clear mind. 

Find Local Restaurants

During my time in California, I ate at a few amazing local restaurants. One of my favorites was a Mexican restaurant in Midtown. From the looks of the town, there are plenty of restaurants just like the one I visited. Midtown seems like the type of place that has more small local businesses rather than large chains. I think that is a big part of why I liked it so much. 

Farmer’s Market

From some research, I have found out that Midtown is a popular spot for a local farmer’s market (something that I love!). I think that if you went during the right time, hitting the farmer’s market during your stay would be a great idea. Apparently, the market is every Saturday in Midtown, year round. If anything, just the atmosphere of a farmer’s market can add some more fun into a vacation anywhere. 

A lot of my information came from this website: https://exploremidtown.org/. I would definitely recommend checking it out if any of Sacramento, CA interests you for your next trip. 

Grace Weingart

Kent State '24

Grace is a junior at Kent State University. She is an English major with a Creative Writing minor. Grace is currently a Senior Editor for the Chapter at Kent. She enjoys being poolside in the sun, shopping and loving on her pup.